The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

U.S. Top Market for Burgundy (again)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

U.S. Top Market for Burgundy (again)

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Per the Shanken Rag: U.S. Becomes Top Market For Burgundy, Despite A Decline In Volume And Value
The U.S. has once again become Burgundy’s leading export market by volume—narrowly surpassing the U.K.—a decade after it originally fell from the top spot. In 2014, the U.S. accounted for 18.4% of Burgundy shipments by volume, compared with the U.K.’s share of 18.2%, according to the region’s trade group BIVB. By value, the U.S. has been Burgundy’s top export destination since 2011, with its share currently at 21.6%.

But as its share of the global category rose, the U.S. saw Burgundy shipments slow markedly in 2014. According to French government figures, Burgundy exports to the U.S. fell 10% to 1.1 million cases last year, while value slipped 1% to €153 million ($166m).

Burgundy’s downturn was less severe than that of Bordeaux, whose exports to the U.S. dropped 11% by value to €178 million ($193m) last year on a volume decline of 3% to 1.96 million cases. Meanwhile, Rhône shipments to the U.S. were up about 2% by both volume and value in 2014, and the Loire, Provence and Languedoc-Roussillon all enjoyed double-digit value increases.

Overall, France’s bottled exports to the U.S. inched up 2% to 9.6 million cases in 2014, capping a four-year period in which they’ve grown by more than 2 million cases.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: U.S. Top Market for Burgundy (again)

by Sam Platt » Wed May 06, 2015 11:53 am

That's wonderful news... if I could just afford some of it! :?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins