The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recuperation Wines (CA and OR)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Recuperation Wines (CA and OR)

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Most of the wines below were poured by the friends I was staying with in Southern California recently. They took advantage of my weakened state and insisted we go through a bunch of their old pinots. I said, "well, okay"--anything for a friend, you know, and it wasn't like I had other things to do. :) Btw, their cellar is passive--steady but 60-70.

2010 Pipestone Chateauneuf de Pipe Paso Robles Red Rhone Blend
At J & A's. Heavier than it's French counterpart would be with a sweet NW finish, but pleasantly complex and well made in a way that makes the most of Paso Robles fruit.

2012 Kenneth Volk Chardonnay 'Jaybird' Santa Maria Valley
AT J & A's. This is an unoaked chardonnay though the label doesn't advertise it. Medium straw color, great minerality, apple and pear, complex, balanced and drier than most unoaked chards or most California chards period. Great food wine, but a satisfying sipper too. If this were available near me I'd buy a case.

2005 Cristom Pinot Noir 'Mt. Jefferson Cuvée' Willamette Valley
At J & A's. Med red color with orange hue. Burgundian fruit and great spice with what another reviewer adroitly called 'sweat' and 'funk'. Almost an animal-attraction thing and I loved it. And how cool is this--the following week, with the memory of this lovely wine still in mind, out of the blue I got an email from Cristom offering the 2012 Jefferson Cuvee for $17. We each bought a case.

2010 Argyle Vintage Brut Willamette Valley Champagne Blend
At J & A's. Monochromatic green apple flavor, lacks complexity and nerve. No TCA or obvious technical flaws, just no there/there.

2011 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
At J & A's with the 2012. Light, delicate red color, showing some maturing flavors amidst the raspberry, tomato and herb notes. Not one to hold onto like the 2012, but very interesting to drink now and my favorite of the two.

2012 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir Reserve Russian River Valley
At J & A's. Medium-full body. Raspberry, cherry fruit, tomato leaf, mild spice. Fresh and lively.

2012 Trefethen Chardonnay Oak Knoll
At J & A's. Light straw colored. Elegant and creamy, old school style (no tropics), pear and apple, highly acceptable but a tad lighter-bodied than expected for the vintage.

2011 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
At J & A's. Very green at this point (and maybe, as a 2011, always). Not the steak wine we'd hoped for but oddly compatible with the grilled artichoke starter (which almost nothing goes with besides woody chardonnays).

2004 Talley Vineyards Pinot Noir Rosemary's Vineyard Arroyo Grande Valley
At J & A's. Cherry and leather on the nose, smokey and rich, big on the palate, hint of iodine, slight funk on the finish with some nice salinity. Plush and elegant--a great sipper. Has the stuffing for 2020.

2003 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard Sta. Rita Hills
Maderized. Not the fault of the wine, though: blame 12 years of passive storage for a hot vintage made in a 3-5 year style.

2005 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard Sta. Rita Hills
At J & A's. Drinkable, but shoulda been drunk years ago. Well past peak and drying out.

2001 Ojai Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard Santa Rita Hills
Maderized.

2013 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard Sta. Rita Hills
At J & A's. Spicy and complex but definitely for current drinking, kind of fun/serious at the same time. Very enjoyable.

2013 Pipestone Grenache Estate Rosé Paso Robles
At J & A's. Fairly sweet, high RS with fat finish. Was not able to finish a glass.

2012 Walter Hansel Winery Sauvignon Blanc Gaddy Lane Vineyard Lake County
Peculiar. Short on acid, undrinkably bitter (and this from someone who loves savage grassiness, cat pee and all that). Two bottles, identical results. DNPIM.

2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir 'Southing', Santa Rita Hills
At J & A's. Hot, almost no fruit left, near death.

2003 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir 'Ten' Sta. Rita Hills
At J & A's. Same alcohol and provenance as the Southing we also opened (14.5%), but a much better bottle. In fact, lovely, though I wouldn't cellar these any longer.

2013 Loring Wine Company Chardonnay Santa Lucia Highlands
At J & A's. Bright yellow extracted color. Very ripe, buxom in a dumb blonde kind of way. Nose and palate of pear, apple and margarita mix. Doesn't work for me.

2005 Melville Pinot Noir 'High Density' Sta. Rita Hills
At J & A's. Burnished taupe-y red with smoke, caramel and tea flavors blending with the fading fruit in a really nice way. At the end of it's life but interestingly so; would not have expected the red-licorice-y young Melvilles I've had to age this well.

2003 Bergström Pinot Noir Cumberland Reserve Willamette Valley
At J & A's. Big wine befitting vintage and producer, lavish lavish did I say lavish oak, a bit hot, but fruit has held on admirably for it's age. Blind, would not have guessed it's age. Controversial within our foursome: two thumbs way up, one neutral, one down (mine).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov