The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Some Holiday Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN:Some Holiday Wines

by wrcstl » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Had a problem on Christmas day when selecting wines with the cold shrimp apps and grilled pork loin. Wanted something festive, wanted something different and one person wanted a big red. Decided on three wines, to start we had a rose, moved to a white that went well with pork and finished with a domestic PN.

<b>'04 Tempier Rose</b>: Ok, middle winter and not exactly rose weather but this is not your typical rose. Worked well for festive as the medium body, fresh raspberry fruit and very pleasant finish made this a great drink. I think Tempier is best drank with about 2-3 years bottle age. Nice match with the cold boiled shrimp.

<b>'03 Somloi Juhfark "Yulkau"</b>: Has to get the award for different. This is a Hungarian white wine that is supposed to go with meat dishes. It was a bold white, full bodied with a mineral edge. As it sat there each sip got better. Never had this wine before but was a gift from my daughter and understand it to be about $30 in Hungary. I am finding myself being drawn more and more to white Rhone wines and this one was similar in profile to a white Rhone.

<b>'01 Rochioli PN Estate</b>: Stopped buying Rochioli as I think there are better PNs in the Russian River but this was the best bottle I have ever opened. May have just got a good bottle at the right time. It definitely fit the "big" requirement with smooth asian spice, deep dark fruit flavors and a massive finish. I wouldn't want to drink this wine every night but it certainly was enjoyable.

Brief notes from previous night.

<b>'04 YASA</b>: I keep buying this Spanish wine and putting it on our "cooking wine" rack in the kitchen but have yet to cook with it. It costs $8 and is a Kysella import. The wine has a round earthy taste profile, lacks acidity for aging but who cares. Best served slightly warmer than your typical white. Gong back to get a couple more bottles and my daughter wants 2 to take back to NYC. Great QPR or maybe I just like cheap wine.

<b>'01 Karl Lawrence Cab</b> This is my only domestic cab I buy every year as I do not want to be accused of being un-American. I fight with this wine but have decided a good cab is needed for certain dishes. This wine definitely has a big flavor profile and very typical of west coast cabs. The fruit was sweet, hints of oak in the background but not overdone and even though typical maybe not be quite as in-your-face as many. At $50 it is a bit pricey but I will continue to get 3 bottles along with 3 bottles of their Aldin, a Bordeaux blend that KL makes that is less $ and actually very nice and more to my taste.

Walt
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN:Some Holiday Wines

by James Roscoe » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:13 pm

How did I miss this post? I need to look for that Aldin. It sounds very promising. Thanks for posting this Walt.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.