The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Golden Bordeaux, ponds and years

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Golden Bordeaux, ponds and years

by Covert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:50 pm

At our annual Christmas dinner at my brother’s significan’t (Diane’s) country house, my wife, Lynn, and I joined the pair for a couple of bottles of white Bordeaux and a Sancerre (which I had brought for some unknown reason), 1983 Climens Barsac with foie gras and then the goose itself with some rather old Bordeaux: Chs. Bouscaut 1976 (sweet floral), La Fleur Cloquet 1979 (rubber) and Villemaurine 1982 (sweet tea). I would have expected these wines (especially the two from the ‘70s) to be more mature and even fading, but they were bright and very enjoyable. Obviously sweet tea flavors are associated with golden years, but the Villemaurine still tasted vibrant and good. I love these kinds of older, less-than-First-Growth wines.

After a bit of dessert with the remaining Barsac Sauternes blend, Lynn and Diane decided they were thirsty and went back into the cellar to find another nice Bordeaux: 1985 Meyney. It was a work night for me; so, as much as I would have enjoyed the continuation, I just took a couple of sips to compare the 1985 to my 1989 Meyneys, at home, and let the two women finish the bottle. (The ’85 is very classy, but not funky; my 1989 is more similar to the pungent, evolved Montrose of that year.)

My brother drinks very little wine, so all of these bottles were mostly consumed by three people. While I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer today, after four days of holiday wining and dining, I feel fine, – and Lynn feels great, partially because she retired last week (it won't last) and has nothing pressing to do. It’s really quite amazing how well fine wine digests, compared to average plonk.

The weather in this Albany, New York area is still very mild. Geese are flying in circles, what there is left of them. The extended forecast predicts temperatures remaining in the 40s and 50s into New Year’s weekend. We apparently won't see any snow or ice in December for the first time I can remember.

I caused and predicted this situation, however, when I put our Wenonah (named 'Rider') up for the season last month. I remarked to Lynn that putting the canoe away so early insured that there would be no untoward weather for the rest of the year. In past years, we continued to paddle through the ice, freezing rain and blowing snow to catch an after dinner Port at the Friends Lake Inn at the north end of the lake. We liked to pretend we were the tough 19th Century Adirondack Indians and trappers that we like to read about. Lynn thinks we are too old for that kind of heroism at this point. I think it was the occasional falling into the ice water while getting in and out of the tippy canoe that finally turned the corner for her. It wasn't so bad at the end of the trip, but it was no bargain when we arrived at the Inn's dock.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Golden Bordeaux, ponds and years

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Covert - Nice to hear about all the wines, especially the Meyney as I think I have some of the 85. I will let you know that a friend had us over for dinner at which we opened a 1974 Meyney that they had bought a few years ago at an auction. We really do not know how it had been taken care of over the years.
I was pleased when the cork came out in one piece although it was soft and quite saturated except near the top. There appeared to be no leakage another, good sign. The color was an unpleasant tawny/brown but nose was just wonderful. The bad news was that the taste was a quite south of funky, as I expected it would be. But we had a lot of fun. It gave us the chance to try something out of the usual and to learn a little.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:12 pm

Meyney? At Diane's? Now don't get me wrong, it's a wine I like and I am especially enamored of the 86 (which is almost identical to the 89), but IIRC from your previous holiday notes madame drinks nothing but First Growths so I'm surprised that she even had this wine around.

Did you not yet open either of your Talbots?
Last edited by Jenise on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Meyney? At Diane's? Now don't get me wrong, it's a wine I like and I am especially enamored of the 86 (which is almost identical to the 89), but IIRC from your previous notes madame shops prestige not quality so I'm surprised that she even had this wine around.

Did you not yet open either of your Talbots?

She's got lots and lots of favorite Parker years: First Growths, such as '82s and '90s, but also '86s (which Parker and non-parkerites alike like) and lots of other vintages. There are all kinds of wines down there.

You and I both know that a lot of folks would say that I don't know quality, since I often like what my brother calls "off years" more than the Parker favorites; and somebody who stocked up on '82s and '90s would obviously know all about quality.

My brother suggested a '82 horizontal mix, but I expressed my opinion that the ripest years to me were often less interesting than seasons that reflected a bit of a struggle, such as '76. Maybe that's why we departed from the more forward wines this year, as a good host might do. If I were them and some bloke said he didn't like my '82 First Growths, I might have opened some skunky stuff to give the guest what he wanted and deserved. But everybody seemed to really like the wines we had.

Haven't tried either Talbot. I've been struggling with the question of whether a week of settling would be sufficient. I think not, but there they are. What do you think?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:41 pm

I do not think a week is enough. I'd plan on at least a month.

The wines you drank certainly sound interesting, I've never had any of them. I love to buy and taste wines I've never had. I want to taste every single Bordeaux made. I should send you the list of the wines I bought Sunday. Yes, while everyone was making Merry, I took advantage of their absence to dog an auction. We weren't home either, but I used my host's computer. I'm a bad, bad girl.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Jenise wrote:I do not think a week is enough. I'd plan on at least a month.

The wines you drank certainly sound interesting, I've never had any of them. I love to buy and taste wines I've never had. I want to taste every single Bordeaux made. I should send you the list of the wines I bought Sunday. Yes, while everyone was making Merry, I took advantage of their absence to dog an auction. We weren't home either, but I used my host's computer. I'm a bad, bad girl.

You should send them, but I'll be jealous. I've got to start mining auctions. You gave me goose bumps with your wish. That's me, too. We've got a mission similar to the best mission statement ever inked: "A computer on every desk," I think it was. We're going to taste every Bordeaux made - or die trying. One you set you mission, you can then select objectives and strategies to reach those objectives. I've got to confess: I would like to drink a bottle of 1982 Mouton, too. So maybe If I keep my mouth shut next Christmas, I will. A strategy. :)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:03 pm

Covert wrote:We're going to taste every Bordeaux made - or die trying.

Covert,

My original mission statement was to taste every Grand Cru Burgundy. Unfortunately, it conflicted with my other mission statement which was to have enough money to eat food and live indoors. The GC mission had to take a back seat. :)

Good luck!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Sam Platt wrote:My original mission statement was to taste every Grand Cru Burgundy. Unfortunately, it conflicted with my other mission statement which was to have enough money to eat food and live indoors. The GC mission had to take a back seat. :)

Bah. You can build a very nice shelter from those cardboard boxes that the Grand Cru Burgundy came in. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:36 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Covert wrote:We're going to taste every Bordeaux made - or die trying.

Covert,

My original mission statement was to taste every Grand Cru Burgundy. Unfortunately, it conflicted with my other mission statement which was to have enough money to eat food and live indoors. The GC mission had to take a back seat. :)

Good luck!

Hi Sam,

"Die trying" is the operative phrase and fallback. Drinking every great bottle of wine is not really possible, even if you won Powerball and lived forever; they all fade eventually.

Still, I think the quest is optimal, since more lofty persuits, such as achieving world peace or electing an honest politician, lose their significance in proportion to your measure of consumption.

Happy New Year!

Covert
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:57 am

Covert wrote:

Still, I think the quest is optimal, since more lofty persuits, such as achieving world peace or electing an honest politician, lose their significance in proportion to your measure of consumption.

Happy New Year!

Covert

As someone who has developed into a sarcastic, hardened cynic, I think that observation is hilarious......and correct!!! Thanks. :lol:
Cheers!
Mike