The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Holiday wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Holiday wines

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:05 pm

2005 Domaine des Huards, Cheverny Le Pressoir:
Biodynamic, 12% alcohol, 80% pinot noir and 20% gamay; sort of the passetoutgrains of the Loire, I suppose, this is aromatic with bright red fruit and earthy scents; sappy, clean, slightly savory, wine-bar type wine with light structure, good acidity, charming balance and a longer than expected finish. Came together quite nicely in the glass so I think 6 months or so in the cellar would help. Delicious accompanying pasta with zucchini in light cream sauce. Imported by Jon-David Headrick Selections and about $10; I’ll buy it again.

2004 Las Rocas, Rosado:
Strawberry, raspberry, earthy nose; dry, balanced, juicy palate with flavors that follow the nose and a clean, medium length finish. Nothing to write home about but perfectly acceptable rosé that pleases me. 13.5% alcohol; imported by Eric Solomon and about $3 (yeah, $3). I bought a case and will buy another.

Christmas dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, corn casserole, green beans, carrot casserole, roasted brussel sprouts and a dessert of homemade truffles:

N/V Colet, Cava A Priori:
Tastes so much like blanc de blanc Champagne that no one could tell it was Cava; bright, juicy, yeasty; ‘sparkling’ is more than an apt descriptor. 11.5% alcohol, imported by Vinos and Gourmet and about $17; I’d by it again.

2005 Dom. du Clos du Fief (Tete) Juliénas:
I wish I could buy this by the barrel; beautiful, black fruit wine with depth, balance, a supple texture and miles of finish. M. Tete is my hero! 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $18; I bought a bunch.

2004 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
In view of the Barolo and Barbaresco this house makes, I guess this should be called a ‘minor’ miracle; fresh, authentic, food friendly nebbiolo with soul, good length and a shelf life. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $24; I am buying more each time I go to the store.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars