The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 2004 Terredora di Paolo Pago dei Fusi Aglianico

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN 2004 Terredora di Paolo Pago dei Fusi Aglianico

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I liked and did not like this wine. It certainly evolved over the evening. Despite the low nominal ABV on the label, it's a big...a very big...rustic wine. Tar, blackberry, leather, and earth. But big. Very big. Ferociously tannic, even at 11 years old! And, at one point during the evolution, there was definitely a stewed/porty note. But not the entire time, so....?????

I liked this, and I see it gets high scores from the usual suspects. But, to borrow David's tasting note, it was a little...tiring...to drink. Maybe with massive steak or a stew it would work?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN 2004 Terredora di Paolo Pago dei Fusi Aglianico

by JC (NC) » Wed May 27, 2015 9:34 am

There seem to be large differences in various Aglianico. Some I love and some I find quite disappointing. This one sounds like it would not please my palate.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri May 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Yes. I have tasted a few that are closer to Pinot in lightness, even in color. This was more like a very big Nebbiolo!

I liked the earthyness and tarryness of the wine. But...tiring, ultimately!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat May 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Ooo, Brian, if pinot is what you are after, I would stay away from agalianico!
The grape tends toward rusticity and bigness, and can get out of hand, but even in it's most elegant renditions will still be BIG.
For me, they fill a spot that sort of corresponds with Chateauneuf-du-Pape: a big wine with a lot of fruit that matches similar food needs. When they are very good, they have a volcanic quality to the minerality that presents structure as a tasting term. I haven't had the Pago before, but other Terredora Taurasi's I've had have tended toward the more smooth and slightly modern side.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 am

I actually LIKE rustic wines, Mark, so not necessarily seeking Pinot only> :lol: I've had lighter versions.

I think this wine was too tannic to be characterized as smoothly modern! :lol: