The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines & Vines Article on Hang Time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Wines & Vines Article on Hang Time

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Napa, Calif.— Growers and winemakers in California have debated the issue of hang time for several years without a lot of data to understand its economic and sensory effects. But now a two-year study of extended ripening in Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards has provided more concrete numbers, and a fascinating set of test wines to measure its effects.

In his research, Ed Weber, Napa County viticulture farm advisor for the UC Cooperative Extension, found that for each degree of Brix over 26, a Cabernet grower's tonnage goes down about 5%, which means in the usual pay-per-ton arrangement that his or her paycheck would also go down 5%. Weber explained this part of his study at the Napa Valley Viticultural Fair in November.

Read the full article here: A Taste of Hang Time: Napa Cabernet study compares taste and tonnage
And now what?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Wines & Vines Article on Hang Time

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:32 pm

I would like to see more data on the sensory side. The sweet spot is real. When judging at the CA State Fair a few years back, they gave us a class on same -- very interesting stuff.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Wines & Vines Article on Hang Time

by Thomas » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:17 am

My problem with the article:

It appears from the article that Jim knew which wines he was sampling. As such, the results are not credible. Not that I disagree with the potential results, but I wish he had tasted truly blind or if he had, I wish he had said so.
Thomas P