The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Am I the rose queen or what?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Am I the rose queen or what?

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:10 am

2014 Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Rosado
Lighter in flavor than expected for the deep color, very dry with some tannins and angularity. Needed food.

2014 Bieler Père et Fils Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence
Very pale. For $10 there probably isn't a better rose out there. Subtle Provencal rose typicity with good balance and finish.

2014 Belle Glos Pinot Noir Pinot Noir Blanc Sonoma County
Had the Belle Glos pinot trademark lactic qualities, but where I don't care for that a bit in the red pinots, in this rose it came across as strawberry milkshake with an extraordinary cashmere texture on the palate. Still not what I crave, but was very, very popular at the nabe tasting.

2014 A to Z rose
Biggish, joyful fruit from mostly sangiovese and syrah fruit from the warmer climes of Southern Oregon. A real crowd pleaser, especially at $10.

2014 Ostatu Rioja Rosado Rosé Blend
Pale pink. Found this wine overly acidic and hard to drink alone. I have two more bottles--will hold them for next year.

2014 Tranche Cellars Pink Pape Blackrock Vineyard Yakima Valley Rosé Blend
Medium pink. Tranche is the Rhone style line from super-premium Washington cab maker Corliss. As expected, this was pure class and showed in a room with 18 other roses. Very deserving of it's $18 price.

2014 Trust Cabernet Franc Rosé Columbia Valley
Light blue-ish-red. Like the Tranche, this rises well above the quaffer level and shows good varietal character and serious intent.

2014 Charles & Charles Syrah Rosé Wahluke Slope
Dark, electric pink. So what do I categorize as quaffer level? This. Actually, though, it's not sweet as predicted (JC reported on a sweeter-than-expected 2013) and overall fairly pleasant if undistinguished. Raspberry-strawberry fruit and tangy finish. The two Charles of this wine are Washington rock star winemaker Charles Shaw and American-born Francophile Charles Bieler (see the #2 wine above.)

2014 Anakena Syrah Enco Cachapoal Valley
Odd plastic flavor to the fruit, unpleasant.

2014 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Les Griottes Gamay
Stunning wine. A million times better than the wan and indifferent bottle we had a month ago--travel shock, maybe? Complex and balanced; my favorite of the tasting.

2014 Quails' Gate Estate Winery Rosé Okanagan Valley VQA Gamay Noir, Gamay
Big on the palate, with ripeness creating a sweet impression of strawberry and canteloupe. Very new world and monodimensional. Not my style, but strongly appealed to the neophytes.

2014 Des Amis Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
I could find nothing about this wine on the internet; a previous vintage of rose made by them was apparently from pinot noir (and looked like it, I saw pix), but this has the ruby color and tannins of a cabernet based wine or cabernet blend so I'm guessing it's that. And it drinks like a claret. Masculine in style with hefty mouthfeel and firm tannins. Quite likeable, but serious. Would be an interesting one to age.

2014 Monmousseau Rosé d'Anjou Rosé Blend
Oh, is this pretty. Lavender/blue-ish pink. Not off-dry as expected of D'anjou, just precise and attractive in the delivery of cherry and pear fruit. Wish I'd bought more.

2014 Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé Stellenbosch
Bright ruby red with a slight orange hue. Watermelon and cherry in the mouth with a delightful edge of funk. Tangy and dry. Killer deal for $10, would buy more if there were any left in the state (there isn't).

2014 Bernard Griffin Sangiovese Rose
Very popular up in these parts, this one. Kind of entry level for it's smooth fruit. Easy to like but almost too easy, in a similar style I must prefer the brighter A to Z above for about the same grapes and price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Am I the rose queen or what?

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:30 am

That's quite a list! Too much rosé for me. I'm drinking more of it these days, but not that much. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:03 am

Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé Stellenbosch ..killer!
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Great notes, We bought a bunch of Rose last week ourselves, (tho not as many as you did, just a round dozen)including the A to Z and Charles and Charles, haven't popped either of those as yet..I find I don't enjoy heavier reds during the summer, hence loading up on Rose, even tho it is grillin and chillin time..
Jon
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:38 pm

There's one restaurant in town whose wine list has gone downhill since a lady from Washington state moved on (a military wife.) I usually end up ordering Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc or Mulderbosch rose' there because both are mostly reliable and I know what I'm getting. I do think the Mulderbosch is pretty good.
I have one bottle left of Bernard Griffin rose' from a previous vintage and will drink it during the hot weather. I bought four different rose' wines in Raleigh recently and have already consumed the Sancerre rose'. Next up is either the Ameztoi Rubentis which I bought based on your recommendation and other favorable reports I have seen online or a Muga Rosado. Another one I bought at that shop is a Beaujolais rose' which I am eager to try but not the Domaine du Vissoux unfortunately.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:44 pm

I relooked at my note on the 2013 Charles & Charles rose' and I found it a little tart, not sweet, but just wasn't impressed by it. Perhaps I would like the current release better if I have a chance to try it.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:45 pm

JC...just finished my bottle of the 2014 A to Z, cost a little more here on the right coast, and realized I had no clue what was in it(back label no help) tho I thoroughly enjoyed the wine..Thanks to your notes, I found that it was, at least to me, a somewhat unusual blend....Wd definitely buy again....Haven't opened the Charles and Charles as yet..Have enjoyed the Kung Fu Girl Riesling(an annual buy) and the C and C chard.(great value).
Jon
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:19 pm

This part of your note struck a chord for some reason:

"2014 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Beaujolais Les Griottes Gamay
Stunning wine. A million times better than the wan and indifferent bottle we had a month ago--travel shock, maybe? Complex and balanced; my favorite of the tasting."

Isn't that the most frustrating and yet fascinating aspect of wine? I often think that the whole concept of wine notes or reviews are mainly flawed not by the subjective nature of taste (which is a massive issue), but by the fact that no two bottles of wine taste exactly the same. This issue is briefly and tangentially discussed in wine sites around the world, but I think people tend to ignore or avoid it because this basic truth would 'hurt' far too much (classic cognitive dissonance at work here).That is, we have too much time, energy, interest, and money invested in wine to truly acknowledge to ourselves that each bottle is a complete crapshoot.

Sorry to the Debbie the Downer on these otherwise awesome notes! I love rose, and just spent several weeks in Langedoc Rousillon, so drank at least one rose every day. There are some awesome examples in this area made from a wide variety of grape varieties. Trust and Tranche are WA examples I've had previously and really enjoyed. Agree with the Bernard Griffen notes - far too 'commercial' (soft and sweet) for my liking (past vintages at any rate).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Jenise, you missed the 2013 Anthony Road Rose’ of Cabernet Franc . It was our Easter wine with ham. Fantastic!
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

Great notes! We will have to search some of these out. I drink more rosé than almost anything else in the summer, especially when it is really hot. I also love making rosé sangria! We usually buy two cases of Bieler each year and drink that all summer long, and it is great to take to parties. Now that I'm selling wine, I have had the opportunity to try so many more rosé than I would have before. At some point I'll have to organize and post my notes.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 am

Looking forward to your notes, Joy.