The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

? 1999 CdP - Question ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

? 1999 CdP - Question ?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:17 pm

A little help needed for a chateaunewbie. I havent had any CdP from 1999 other than Marcoux VV (which I loved) but noticed a few decently priced bottles around. From what I've read on the various fora, '99 wasnt the most highly regarded while some say traditionalists (like I tend to be) find the vintage more to their liking than someone that favors more lush/modern wines. I've also read some suggesting to skip the vintage entirely in favor of '98, 00, and '01.

Any generalist opinions here?

And in particular any TN's on 1999 regular Marcoux or Les Cailloux?

thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: ? 1999 CdP - Question ?

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Bill, I haven't read all the various forae you do, but I've tasted some 20 or 30 wines from the 98-01 vintrage of Southern Rhones, and the 99 and 01s consistently come out on top for me. I've had some from both 98 and 00 that I've liked, but have also met some that are jammy heavy or have too low acid. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have never had either complaint about a 99 or 01.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:17 pm

1998-2001 was an excellent run for CdP IMO. I loaded my cellar with them, skipping 02 and 03, and now buying 04s. I can't imagine a CdP fan shunning the 99s.

1999 was a very good year. Les Cailloux is one of my favorite houses. Their 99 is drinking well now and will do so for several more years. It is my understanding that the grapes for the Cuvee Centenaire were used in the Cuvee Classique in 1999. It is a solid 90+ wine.

I never liked the Marcoux that much -- it is too "pretty" for my preference, having too much of that maraschino cherry component and not enough of the garrigue and pepper that I like (although I certainly will not turn down a glass).
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:59 pm

Bill,
I've not drunk extensively of the '99s. One I've enjoyed which is drinking very nicely now is Chante Perdrix. They've been forward and delicious from the get-go and I've just about finished them all.

The '99 CdP notes I could find:

1999 Domaine Chante Perdrix Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/18/2006)
Again, a very pretty wine with forward red berries on nose and palate. Some earth emerges over time. Enough structure. Not much change from a year ago.

1999 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/26/2005)
Lovely nose of elegant grenache fruit, perfume, oak not obtrusive. After initial nice attack, finish a little short and rusty. Will plan to retry w dinner in several hours. In fact, several hours after decanting finish much longer and marred only by unresolved tannins. Continued ripe and firm until drained with dinner, about 10 hours after opening. Still young, and decant long time if drinking anytime soon.

1999 Domaine Chante Perdrix Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/5/2005)
As always, a easy/early drinking vintage with sweet red fruit, a little earth. Always enjoyable, if not typical CdP or typical Perdrix.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Jenise wrote:and the 99 and 01s consistently come out on top for me.
That really helps, Jenise. My "likes" usually fall in line pretty well with yours.

Bucko wrote:I can't imagine a CdP fan shunning the 99s.
Shunning '99 CdP is all the rage on eGob.

Bucko wrote:I never liked the Marcoux that much -- it is too "pretty" for my preference
I've only had the VV and that was a really pure expression of grenache. I'm finding I prefer a grenache heavy CdP. I'll give Les Cailloux a shot. Thanks.

Charles wrote:One I've enjoyed which is drinking very nicely now is Chante Perdrix. They've been forward and delicious from the get-go and I've just about finished them all.
Thanks, Charles. I'll look for that one too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:52 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Any generalist opinions here?

I thought the '99s were just fine when they passed through the pipeline (being a tannin pig, I usually taste at least a few current Chateauneufs as soon as they come off the boat), and as the others have said, they struck me as more "traditional" - and hence to my liking - than '98 or '00. They were in current release when I toured the Southern Rhone in 2001, and I drank a lot of them then.

That said, I looked at but passed over a '99 Bois de Boursan for Christmas dinner (hand-carried back from that '01 visit, in fact), figuring there's a better-than-even chance of it not quite emerging from its down period yet, although with the eighth year after the vintage coming up, they ought to be coming back soon.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 pm

Heck, 1999 was a very good CdP year, sometimes overlooked because 1998, 2000 and 2001 are generally considered outstanding. So far I've been thinking I might start drinking some of my few 2000s as early as two or three years from now, before the other three vintages, although I'm just guessing. (Parker is no help as his predictions more often than not are something on the order of "drink now to 2090.")
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:41 am

I recall there was one year in the late 1990s where there was disasterous flooding in the southern Rhone that pretty much wiped out the harvest, and those who were able to salvage something had bad quality. Which year was that?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 am

Paul, I believe you are thinking of 2002 -- the S. Rhone was deluged with rain and floods at harvest. It is generally considered the worst vintage since 1997.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 am

I remember being in Burgundy, tasting along with a wine merchant, when news of bad flooding in the Rhone came to us. That had to be prior to 2001. Maybe 1997?

I do recall the big flood in 2002 that you mentioned. That was even worse than the year I was thinking of.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:31 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Shunning '99 CdP is all the rage on eGob.

Then there is a very good chance I will like them just fine. :D
Curley
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:47 am

I went long in every vintage from '98 to '01, and of all of them the '99s are drinking the best now. A '99 Vieux Telegraph was jut lovely in September 2005, and the Bousquet des Papes Chante le Merle is a fruity but woodsy wine right now.

Vieux Donjon and Clos du Mont Olivet are also drinking well, as are the Domaine de Solitude cuvees.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone. Yet again, the more I learn about wine, the more I realize how much more I need to learn.

David, thanks for the specific tips. I've seen Vieux Donjon and Mont Olivet kicking about.