The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Elyse Zins '91...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Elyse Zins '91...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Tried these two from my orphan stash last week:
1. Elyse Zin MorisoliVnyd/RutherfordBench/NapaVlly (12.9%) 1991: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; bit cedary/pencilly/oldRed strong blackberry/spicy/Zin/plummy some toasty/oak bit complex nose; slightly tart some blackberry/Zin/spicy some toasty/oak bit tangy/grapefruity/metallic/drying out rather simple/quiet flavor w/ light drying tannins; very long riper/blackberry/plummy/Zin more mainstream Zin slight complex finish w/ light drying tannins; an attractive ripe NapaVlly Zin w/ good fruit in the nose but starting to dry out on the palate though still very much alive. $14.00 (SolCllrs)
2. Elyse Zin HowellMtn/NapaVlly (12.9%) 1991: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; strong earthy/dusty/mushroomy/HM some peppery/spicy/blackberry/raspberry/Zin more toasty/smokey/oak some perfumed/fragrant complex very attractive nose; slightly tart rather spicy/blackberry/Zin/peppery some earthy/mushroomy/dusty some smokey/toasty/oak rather complex flavor w/ light smooth/gentle tannins; very long/lingering quite spicy strong blackberry/Zin/raspberry/peppery some earthy/dusty/mushroomy/HM bit rugged finish w/ light smooth tannins; a classic rugged HM Zin that has come together quite nicely; some like an old Ridge BeattyRanch w/o the oak; still plenty of fruit and little drying out but a bit on the quiet side.
1. These two would have been made by RayCoursen. He also makes a higher-end set of wines under the JacobFranklin label. WebSite: www.elysewinery.com/. Elyse is Ray & Nancy's daughter's name. Jake is their younger son. Across the board, Ray makes some outstanding wines, mostly reds. His JacobFranklin PetiteSirah is one of Caalif's best PS's.
These two wines were from my orphan stash that was lost in my garage for almost 20 yrs under totally uncontrolled storage conditions, btls standing up-right. I was expecting to be totally dead. They were not. The Morisoli seemed much further along, showed more of that cedary/pencilly/oldRed character, and had that tangy/metallic character on the palate. The HowellMtn was in much better shape, showed no signs of oxidation, and was very nice drinking in a quiet sort of way (the wine..not me...I was raising mush usual hell).
Tom
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: WTN: Two Elyse Zins '91...(short/boring)

by Thomas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:41 am

Tom:

In the '90s, when I worked for Lauber Imports, Elyse was in our portfolio. I've loved their Zinfandels, but I haven't any remaining from back then, you lucky guy.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: Two Elyse Zins '91...(short/boring)

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm

I run into Ray now & then, I'll say hello for you Tom. He used to hang with some same friends but I believe he went through some family problems and I don't see him as often anymore.