The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Domaine de Bargylus - wine from Syria...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Domaine de Bargylus - wine from Syria...

by Mike_F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:04 am

Interesting write-up on Domaine de Bargylus on BBC on-line, see http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33450300 . The vineyards are in Syria, the winery is in Lebanon, and the wine is shipped via Egypt to a warehouse in Belgium for marketing. Has anybody on this board ever seen or tasted those wines?
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Domaine de Bargylus - wine from Syria...

by Jenise » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Never ever heard of this, but how interesting. If any of it gets to the States, chances are it doesn't get any further than New York. Btw, love your Dawkins quote.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 pm

Winesearcher.com shows Bargylus wines available from a number of European suppliers, but not in the U.S.A., or Israel for that matter. One more for the shopping list on the next visit to London...

Thanks for the comment on the Dawkins quote Jenise. 'Tis somewhat redundant in the Middle East, open minds are in short supply in this part of the world. I get a twitch whenever I see your Rogov quote, I heard him say it more than once.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:52 am

Wow, he has to be bold, perhaps foolish, to grow vines for wine in Syria :shock: . If I see a bottle (perhaps in Paris), I'll try it.
Tim York