The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Open Mike: Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:52 pm

There seems to have been a fair amount of NZ Sauvignon Blanc sampling lately, and more to come with NY Eve, so lets try a few in the next few days. I will attempt to concentrate on Marlborough and have a few `04s lined up. Think I will start with Selaks!
Isabel has been mentioned here of late as well as St Claire but what about Brancott, Kim Crawford, Jackson or even Villa Maria. Cheers everyone!
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Open Mike: Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:59 pm

2006 Drylands, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, $15, 18,000 cases. Sporting a brilliant straw coloration, this wine displays intense gooseberry and tropical fruit notes. The food-friendly acidity begs for your favorite seafood accompaniment; 88/89.

2006 Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, $17, 65,000 cases. True to form, this wine is peachy, melony, and loaded with gooseberries and acidity - a no-brainer for shellfish; 90/90.

2006 Monkey Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, $11. Simple but very drinkable, this year's version is highlighted by lime, jalapeno and kiwi notes; 84/85.

2006 Saint Clair, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand, $15. This stunner grabs you from the very start with its intense gooseberry and passionfruit aromas. Crisp in the mouth, the flavors are every bit as intense – passionfruit, limes and grapefruit flavors abound. New Zealand has raised the bar on Sauvignon Blanc with this one. Buy by the case; 93/95.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:47 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:There seems to have been a fair amount of NZ Sauvignon Blanc sampling lately, and more to come with NY Eve, so lets try a few in the next few days. I will attempt to concentrate on Marlborough and have a few `04s lined up. Think I will start with Selaks!
Isabel has been mentioned here of late as well as St Claire but what about Brancott, Kim Crawford, Jackson or even Villa Maria. Cheers everyone!

Bob, I really recommend you try some 06's if you can. The 04's will have lost their super fresh edge, although some of the 05's I have tasted recently are still pretty zippy including the Brancott Reserve.
Saint Clair and Kim Crawford 06's are leading the pack this year, however. Another of my favourites is Shingle Peak if you can find it and Matua Paretai - both made by Matua Valley, the latter being the top of their tier.
Another that we had last week that was super zippy and punchy was the Waipara Hills Marlborough Sauv Blanc 06 - highly recommended.

Cheers,
Sue

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:54 pm

Randy, thanks for getting the ball rolling! Nice to hear from you Sue. We have only just received the `05s and have seen many I am familar with. Yup, the Matua highend is here! I mentioned the `04 Selaks cos it seems to have been hidden in the cellar and it turned up during a cleanup. Just opened it, still has some zip but agree wine has lost that edge.Was there some barrel fermentation with this one, Sue?
no avatar
User

Michael Grossman

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Los Angeles

by Michael Grossman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 am

I agree with Randy about the Kim Crawford '06. And at $12 a bottle out here in the Los Angeles area it is not only a no brainer but a steal. I felt like I should have had a ski mask on when I bought it. Great crisp, fresh acidity with gobs of gooseberry. A dozen oysters, some KC SB, another half dozen, some more KC SB....la dolce vita. :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:56 am

LOL at the ski mask comment. I had a glass of 2005? Crossings Sauvignon Blanc at a restaurant in Connecticut the day after Christmas (with sea bass). It had a powerful aroma and very nice taste--citrusy rather than herbal. I would say lemons and limes. Looked it up on the Internet because I knew nothing about this brand. It retails for about $12-$16. Several reviews mentioned lime prominently but one mentioned grapefruit and several mentioned passionfruit (I am not familiar with passionfruit). It also has received numerous gold and silver medals in competitions.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53 am

Bob, the '06 Kim Crawford was at the Sherwood Park Costco last time I was there a few weeks back. Can't remember the exact cost but it was under $20.

Might be gone though, now that it's on the Wine Speculator's Top 100.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:58 am

JC (NC) wrote:in Connecticut the day after Christmas

You were in CT and you didn't come on up here! You know JC, unlike North Carolina, New England is a small place.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Sue:

Here in Ontario, we only have the 2005 Shingle Peak Riesling available. No SB.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Sue:

Shingle Peak rings a bell. Know the name, not sure which store has it!! If I am right, Drylands is a Selaks company???
Have a feeling this OM will last 2 weeks, any takers?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Replying to Carl,
I was only in Connecticut for two nights seeing my nephew's family near New Haven and I was not the one with the rental car. My great-niece, a toddler at 2 1/2, kept us thoroughly entertained.
JC
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:54 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Randy, thanks for getting the ball rolling! Nice to hear from you Sue. We have only just received the `05s and have seen many I am familar with. Yup, the Matua highend is here! I mentioned the `04 Selaks cos it seems to have been hidden in the cellar and it turned up during a cleanup. Just opened it, still has some zip but agree wine has lost that edge.Was there some barrel fermentation with this one, Sue?

Barrel fermentation? In the Selaks? Heck no! Just the way savvie goes with a little age. It can start to garner a toastiness even though the nearest the wine got to wood was when the bottle was put on a wooden counter for serving.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:56 pm

Shame. 2005 Shingle Peak Sauvignon Blanc was one fantastic wine.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Shingle Peak rings a bell. Know the name, not sure which store has it!! If I am right, Drylands is a Selaks company???

Drylands started out as a label for Selaks for their top Marlborough wines, but then Nobilo bought Selaks (at that stage their headquarters were physically just 2 miles from each other in Kumeu in Auckland and both family owned), but then Hardy in Australia took over Nobilo and now Constellation owns the whole caboodle. There endeth the lesson. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:55 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:

Shame. 2005 Shingle Peak Sauvignon Blanc was one fantastic wine.

See, I found the Shingle Peak and it`s the `05. Costco brought up most of the `06 Kim Crawford I hear. B.......!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:56 pm

Mike B. wrote:Bob, the '06 Kim Crawford was at the Sherwood Park Costco last time I was there a few weeks back. Can't remember the exact cost but it was under $20.

Might be gone though, now that it's on the Wine Speculator's Top 100.

Mike, if you want more Mills Reef visit Liquor Select. They have all the range there.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:27 pm

WTN: `04 Selaks Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough NZ.

SC, 13% guess a bit long in the tooth but cellared well.

Colour. Very light lemon with some viscousity. No green hues this time around (2nd bottle).

Nose. Typical, what else can one say? Gooseberry, capsicum and hint of tropical fruits. Aromas blast out of the glass!

Palate. Hint of spritz on entry, still has some zip but has lost some of the crisp freshness one associates with SB. Lime, apple, stone fruit with green peppers gooseberry finish. Good acidity and tangy aftertaste (some length). After 2 hrs, grapefruit tends to dominate. Not bad.

Cost was $17 Cdn in Aug `05.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:05 pm

Is it just me or does the 06 Kim Crawford have quite a bit more green pepper than the 05? All in all, I much preferred the citrus driven 05. Dina likes the 06 quite a bit though.

I've got our local wine merchant on the look out for a case of the Saint Clair...but it seems that its getting grabbed before a lot of it makes its way out here..

Ya wouldn't know anything about that ...would ya', Bucko?

Richard
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:44 pm

Wha ... wha ...? I have no recollection of that event.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:43 am

WTN: `05 Savee-Mt Riley, Marlborough.

Probably not the first time I have mentioned this wonderful sparkling SB from Mt Riley!! Opened this up as the Grill was winding down after a very busy night.

Pale lemon in colour,small beads. On the nose, hints of gooseberry and capsicum. Tad herby but nice fizz. Very crisp entry, lively with a fine mousse. Has some nice intense flavours, one knows this could be SB.

*****did not have enough for one server so bartender mixed some Oyster Bay with some Asti. "This is good stuff"she remarked as I helped myself to a glass of `85 Warres VP!!!

Good night all!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:14 pm

WTN: `05 Matua Valley Shingle Peak, Marlborough.

SC, 13.5% alc. Sue rates this very high in the SB ladder!!! Have to say that as a SB fan, this is pretty good. Has some nice flavours not found in other wines I have tasted.

Colour. Medium straw, no green, watery rim.

Nose. Very appealing, a little more distinct than the accepted NZ SB aroma. Some kinda herb here and sweet pea??? Nice spice, crisp, grassy.

Palate. Classic Marlborough w. citrus, kiwi, gooseberry (not tart), and some tropical fruits that are hard to pin down. Lot going on here.
Enticing acidity, long pleasureable finish. Wow wine.

****** have seen the Mt Riley Paretai and heard that `06 Kim Crawford is here in town finally.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 pm

'05 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc
color: pale yellow-green
nose: lots of tropical fruits, minerals and a hint of grass
palate: powerful, tropical fruit, grapefruit, clean finish

Not a label I'm familiar with, we found this in a sushi restaurant while on vacation in Florida. It's quite similar to the most flamboyant NZ SBs such as Palliser Estate's (Michael Cooper MW: "Marlborough Sauvignon in drag") and paired quite successfully with the sushi.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:33 pm

http://www.whitehaven.co.nz

Mark, the SB is here too but have not tasted. Good note from you!! I see they make a Pinot Gris, that would be up my alley.

WTN: `05 Jackson Estate, Marlborough.

So just polished off the Shingle Peak, better half suggested this. Very pale straw colour, nose is asparagus, gooseberry and citrus. More nuances as it airs I hope. This is always a consistent winery eh.
Zingy crisp palate, nice entry mouthfeel but not as complex as the Shingle P.
Some minerally tones and more asparagus with goosegogs! Think more lime than usual, will check notes. Always a good value wine and no price increase for quite a while, around $19 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 am

Mark Lipton wrote:'05 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc
color: pale yellow-green
nose: lots of tropical fruits, minerals and a hint of grass
palate: powerful, tropical fruit, grapefruit, clean finish

Not a label I'm familiar with, we found this in a sushi restaurant while on vacation in Florida. It's quite similar to the most flamboyant NZ SBs such as Palliser Estate's (Michael Cooper MW: "Marlborough Sauvignon in drag") and paired quite successfully with the sushi.

Mark Lipton

Mark, If you like the flamboyant style of savvie (I do) you should also hunt down Astrolabe Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - both 2005 and 2006 are very good, although I think the 2005 was marginally better. Simon Waghorn is Whitehaven's winemaker, but the Astrolabe is Simon's personal label.
BTW - Michael Cooper is not an MW.

Cheers,
Sue
Next