The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Grand Veneur Les Origines Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Grand Veneur Les Origines Question

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:03 pm

In the past couple months I've noticed tasting notes for the 2000 Domaine Grand Veneur Cdp. I have some of the 2000 and 2001 Grand Veneur Les Origines and am curious as to whether I should open any now or if that would be commiting infanticide.

Any comments?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Grand Veneur Les Origines Question

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 pm

We can find out next Friday at Mishy`s do!!!!
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh shoot, you're on to me Bob. That's why I was asking about the Grand Veneur.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Mike B. wrote:Oh shoot, you're on to me Bob. That's why I was asking about the Grand Veneur.

:lol:

You know what, I never thought of that. LOL.
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:01 pm

Mike,

I 've had the 2001 les origines several times this year...it's drinking well, but is far from mature or fully resolved. My preference for drinking CdP is to have them on the young side, within 5-15 years of the vintage. I like 'em fo rthe exuberent fruit and forward spice. I'm not so fond of older examples, though 1978 Grand Veneur CdP that was consumed with lunch in 2003 was tasty, in a faded, mushroom and tea-like state.

The 2000 is evolving rapidly, probably best consumed before it hits 10 years. Try them together if yo uhave more than one of each. Drinking them as they develope is a great way to learn.

Here's a picture of the 2003 lunch...Image
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:12 pm

You drank all those for lunch Robert?!!!
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:23 pm

I drank the wines with help from these people...we were in a room in a hotel in the town of Chateauneuf...hosted by Alain and Christophe Jaume, the owners of Grand Veneur. Image

Alain Jaume is in the right corner, third from the bottom, in yellow.

I work for the American importer of the wines...in fact, we'll be having a similar lunch on Jan. 9th when we visit them to taste the new wines.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Great Robert, hope you stick around here on the forum. And post notes!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Robert, I like the way you do lunch! :( For some reason, I thought that you had moved west sometime back? Are you still Kysela? If so, you should encourage Fran to let you bring him to Mo'Cool next August. Welcome to the latest incarnation of the WLDG.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Thanks very much, Robert. I just might bring a bottle to the dinner Bob mentioned. It should go well with the restaurant's wild game menu, I'm hoping.

And I'm in envy of your lunch with the Jaumes. Everything I've read seems to indicate they are up-and-comers.
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Robert, I like the way you do lunch! :( For some reason, I thought that you had moved west sometime back? Are you still Kysela? If so, you should encourage Fran to let you bring him to Mo'Cool next August. Welcome to the latest incarnation of the WLDG.

Bob,

West? Me? Unlikely.

I've been in Richmond for 7.5 years, moved here from Atlanta in 1999.

Mo'Cool is a blast but it's the last place you'll find Fran. He works 24/7.

You're well, I hope, and drinking old vintages of 1860 vines Tahbilk Shiraz?
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:13 pm

Mike B. wrote:Thanks very much, Robert. I just might bring a bottle to the dinner Bob mentioned. It should go well with the restaurant's wild game menu, I'm hoping.

And I'm in envy of your lunch with the Jaumes. Everything I've read seems to indicate they are up-and-comers.

The Jaumes have arrived, I think. Their style is consistent, a sane mixture of the traditional and the modern. Mature vineyards and restraint with the wood regime contribute to their success.

Before we visit the property for tastings and lunch, we send ahead some venison loin from VA which madame Jaume prepares with a sauce grand venuer...and we have various vintages of CdP with the venison. It's a good time.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Robert, you do know of my fondness for Tahbilk wines, and especially the marsanne. And I do have a few 1860 vines, but only a few. If I could afford them I would have a vertical of them. The Tahbilk shiraz is a very good OZ wine even down to their lowest level. And the marsanne is almost heaven in a bottle. I really do not understand why the rest of the wine world doesn't get wise to the value the Tahbilk wines offer. Hey Robert, I go far enough back to remember when you were in Atlanta.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:54 am

Robert Jones wrote:
Mike B. wrote:Thanks very much, Robert. I just might bring a bottle to the dinner Bob mentioned. It should go well with the restaurant's wild game menu, I'm hoping.

The Jaumes have arrived, I think. Their style is consistent, a sane mixture of the traditional and the modern. Mature vineyards and restraint with the wood regime contribute to their success.

Before we visit the property for tastings and lunch, we send ahead some venison loin from VA which madame Jaume prepares with a sauce grand venuer...and we have various vintages of CdP with the venison. It's a good time.

Hi Robert, stay tuned for some thoughts on the `00 Grand Veneur which Mike B and I tasted last night at a very nice dinner. The thread will be titled..."My evening with Normand..... Barolo, Cornas and Grand Veneur".
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:25 am

I'll keep my eyes open for your impressions.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Robert, Bob will post more detailed impressions later but I had mixed feelings about the 2000. It had a distinctly New World-style, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but was also really hot. I don't recall the exact alcohol content, but it was close to 15% and out of balance.

We chilled it a little and it showed better after that, but it was hard to identify as a Rhone. Still, it was OK.

I've had a glass of the '01 before and liked it much more.

It probably didn't help that it was among some really tough competitors. Look for Bob's posting on the dinner in a day or two.