The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Il Chiosso Fara '10...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Il Chiosso Fara '10...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Shared this new Nebb w/ John today:
1. IlChiosso DOC: Fara (Fara&Briona; 90% Nebbiolo/5% Vespolina/5% UvaRara; 22 mo. in oak barrels; 14%; ViasImports; Lotto L14-224; www.ilchiossogattinara.it/en/) Gattinara 2010: Med.light somewhat garnet/bricked color; light floral/lilacs/Nebb rather tarry/pungent/road tar classic Nebb bit alcoholic somewhat complex nose; rather tart light floral/lilacs strong pungent/road tar/earthy/loamy bit complex flavor w/ ample bitey/astringent tannins; very long tart/astringent/bitey/lean/angular slight floral/lilacs strong tarry/pungent rather light/lean finish w/ ample bitey tannins; not a lot of aromatics & lots of pungent/tarry character and rather hard/astringent; needs more age but takes a real leap of faith. $27.00 (AV)
1. This was a new producer for me. Founded in 2007, they have an interesting lineup of wines from all the usual Colline Novarese suspects. Though this Nebb didn't do a whole lot for me, I'd try some of their other wines.
I opened this mid-morning when I took this note, along-side w/ my bowl of Wheaties. Breakfast of Champions...which is why I eat it. I then tracked the wine over about a 10 hr period. Straight from the bottle. The wine lost aromatics, the tannins became much harder and aggressive, and the wine did not soften at all. Exactly the opposite of what we know to be true about Nebbiolo.
I would like the experts of Nebb to tell me what I did wrong w/ this wine. Should I have decanted it the day before? Should I have done a splash decant? Should I have used my Venturi? What the heck was I doing wrong? Help me out here.
Tom