The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Calif Reds...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Calif Reds...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:04 pm

We tried last night (7/22/15) Some Wines:
1. Dashe Zin LeInfantsTerribles McFaddenFarm/PotterVlly/MendoCnty (13.8%; Native Frmentation; low SO2) Oakland 2014:
Med.light color; pleasant raspberry/Zin/cranberry rather earthy/dusty bit Mendo/tomatoey light-weight nose; tart
light raspberry/cranberry/Zin earthy/dusty/Mendo simple flavor w/ light tannins; med.long bright raspberry/
cranberry/Zin/slight spicy rather earthy/dusty/Mendo tomatoey finish w/ light tannins; a pleasant simple little
Zin but just that and overpriced at $27.00 (SFW&S)
rather plummy/black cherry some earthy/mushroomy rather grapey/port-like finish w/ light tannins; a lush
drinkable red that speaks strong of Lodi; quite good at a good price. $24.00
SonomaVlly Zin pure Zin lovely nose; bit tart/lean strong blackberry/blueberry/Zin some spicy light vanilla/oak bit
simpler pure Zin fruit flavor w/ light bitey tannins; very long bit tart/lean more bright/simple Zin fruit/
blackberry light vanilla/oak finish w/ light angular tannins; more simple bright Zin fruit and not the depth
of the ancient. $25.00 (SFW&S)
flavor w/ ample soft/ripe tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy slight
licorice/peppery some toasty/oak rather dusty/OV finish w/ strong soft/ripe tannins; clearly some dusty/OV
character and greater depth & intensity & ripeness; beautiful OV Zin much like a Pagani. $34.00 (SFW&S)
toasty/oak slight meaty/smokey nose; soft/fat/flabby/porky very ripe/Syrah/boysenberry rather toasty/oak rather
hot/fumey/alcoholic flavor w/ light overripe tannins; long fat/plump/porky very ripe/boysenberry/Syrah/licorice/
chocolaty hot/alcoholic strong toasty/charred/oak finish w/ light soft tannins; seems more Paso than Napa;
a classic over-the-top Behrens & Hitchcock Syrah w/ not much interes; overpriced at $40.00 (K&L)
ripe/soft tannins; long ripe/boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/framboise strong toasty/charred/oak finish w/ some
soft/ripe tannins; a bit on the soft/soupy side & quite ripe but somewhat interesting. $35.00
tart ripe/briary/blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/licorice some toasty/oak flavor w/ modest ripe/smooth tannins;
very long ripe/boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/very spicy/briary/Amador modeest toasty/charred/oak finish w/ some
soft/ripe tannins; quite a good ShakeRidge Syrah that speaks of Amador but way overpriced for what it is.
$65.00 (WH/SB)
blackberry/Syrah/very ripe textured/mouthfilling flavor w/ light/bitey tannins; very long very strong burnt/charred/
toasty/oak intense boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/very ripe bit complex very primary finish w/ light/angular tannins;
a classic intense/extracted Alban Syrah that has yrs to go.
strong Grenache/strawberry/boysenberry/Syrah/blackberry fairly tart some complex flavor w/ light/gentle tannins;
very long strong charred/burnt/toasty/smokey/oak intense Grenache/strawberry/boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah rich/
textured finish w/ light/smooth tannins; very much like the Syrahs but a bit brighter fruit from the Grenache;
still very primary and not much complexity developed; tannins are fully resolved.
framboise/licorice/peppery very strong burnt/charred/oak bit complex flavor w/ some smooth/ripe tannins; very long/
lingering strong burnt/charred/oak/smokey very intense boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/peppery/licorice/smoked meats
bit complex finish w/ some smooth/ripe tannins; much like the Lorraine but much more interesting and not the sharp/
bitey tannins; still very primary and yrs to go.
________________________________________________________________________________
Stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Albans: These three wines were from my orphan stash lost in my garage for over 10 yrs under miserable/dreadful
storage conditions, standing upright. The corks in them were all sound, tight, and came out w/ a struggle using
my Ah-So. The wines show no signs whatsoever of oxidation or overheating and were still very/very primary. All
three showed the classic Alban highly reduced stink upon opening, but soon cleared in the glass.
These wines are progressing at a glacial pace, still very primary overripe fruit, and not a whole lot of
complexity developing, even though the tannins seem pretty resolved. These are the kind of wines that leave me
(and certain Monktown attourneys) shaking my head and wondering "what hath John wrought?". It may very well be that
these wines may ever develop that complexity one desires in old Syrahs. These may very well go to their grave
still being very primary wines. I think back to the Qupe Hillside Syrah '01 I had not so long ago. That wine could
not hold a candle to these Albans in the intensity arena. But it showed way/way more balance and complexity than
these Albans ever will and was vastly more of a pleasure to drink, not to mention one 3'rd the cost. I guess I
hold no regrets for being dumped from the Alban mailing list. I can find more Syrah pleasure elsewhere.
3. Bucklin Zins: Will Bucklin, owner/farmer of the famed OldHillRanch continues to make some of the best, most solid,
SonomaVlly Zins but seems to fly underneath everybody's radar. It's always interesting to taste the Bambino and
the Ancient together to wrap your mind around what dusty/OV character is. There's quite a big difference in
alcohol levels betwixt these two which clutters things up a bit. I assume these were harvested at about the same
time and the higher alcohol in the Ancient reflects a greatly diminshed yield in the Ancient. Will's style at
Bucklin reminds me more of Bedrock than of Ravenswood's. I'd like to see what Mike or Morgan could do w/ these
grapes.
5. Favia: Thiis was my first experience w/ a Favia wine. The grapes come from AnnKraemer's ShakeRidge vnyd above
AmadorCity. This is at a lower elevation than the ShenandoahVlly I believe, further South, in rugged mountainous
terrain. It is, indeed, one of the premier vnyds in AmadorCnty and a beautiful property. I liked the wine quite
a lot but it's clear you gotta pay thru the nose for the Erickson name on the label.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Some Calif Reds...(long/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:18 pm

I'll say one thing. Your garage stash is making me much less paranoid about storage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I'll say one thing. Your garage stash is making me much less paranoid about storage.

Well, David....that's the point of my posting TN's on my orphan stash. When some of the wines are totally shot, I don't
bother to take a TN or posting...just down the drain it goes & onto the next btl. It's been a grand (unintentional) experiment.
It sorta confirms my suspicions that wine is a much more robust beverage than we give it credit for.
We all "know" that we must store our wines at 55 F. Why?? Because we've been told that by the experts.
We all "know" that we must store our wines on their sides so the cork doesn't dry out & fall into the wine. Why??
Because we've been told that by the experts.
And how do all these "experts" know this stuff?? Because they've been told that by the "experts" who came before them.

I dare say that this grand experiment has given me far/far more experience w/ btls that have been stored standing upright long-time than any MS or MW or "expert" out there in the wine world. Way more experience. Most of them have zero data points. Course you gotta realize that I'm a LosAlamos guy & just make stuff up!!! :lol:

When I finish this grand experiment w/ the orphan stash, towards the end of the yr, I plan to write up a summary of my experience. Of course, it will be totally ignored because it's stuff people don't want to hear. They'd rather go ballistic and rant&rave when some wnry ships their wine in 70 F weather. And that's OK by me. They can be content to "know" with certainty what they "know".
Tom