The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Puttonyos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Puttonyos

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm

Which syllable gets the stress? (I'd start a poll, but I'm sure Otto will know.)

In the following N.Y. Times article about Tokaji Aszú Eric and Florence do not seem to agree!
And now what?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Puttonyos

by James Roscoe » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:51 pm

Bad things happen when Otto goes away. I wonder if there is an internet connection in Zanzibar? I would think it is a relatively modern city. If Gary doesn't know the answer, then we must wait for Otto.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Gary,

I've traveled to Hungary several times. The pronounciation is fairly evenly stressed: puh-tawn-yosh, perhaps puh-TAWN-yosh.

Sam
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:22 pm

Hungarian is pretty simple: it's *always* the first syllable.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Michael Pronay wrote:Hungarian is pretty simple: it's *always* the first syllable.

So, Michael, you are saying that it is pronounced (more or less) "PUT-ton-yos" with the accent on the "put?"

I just found a link with the pronunciation of the word puttony.

It sounds like you may be correct!

Egészségére!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Just had a phone call with a very close friend: Born in Amsterdam from Hungarian Jewish parents, Austrian citizen since a few years, who confirmed stress on the first syllable.

Spelling of "Egészségére!", however, needs a a small insert. It's "Egészségédre!" (at least from what I just have been told on the cell phone from the Tyrolean alps — strange locations these people look for ... :D )
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Here's a reply to the question from one of my Hungarian co-workers in his own words. He seems to agree pretty much with Michael:

"A happy New Year to you. In Hungarian we are pronouncing ‘puttonyos’ such as ‘put-on-yosh’. We may not put any stress or maybe stress the first, somewhat as a ‘PUH’ to your ear."
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Which syllable gets the stress? (I'd start a poll, but I'm sure Otto will know.)

In the following N.Y. Times article about Tokaji Aszú Eric and Florence do not seem to agree!

The first thing Asimov definitely gets wrong is "aszú" which he pronounces as "ashew" (or "ajew"), while in fact it's "assew".

The second problem is "puttony/ok/os". He says "puttonyo" which is always wrong. One hud is one "puttony" (pronounced somewhe like "putton"), the plural is puttonyók (more than one hud), and the adjective is (3/4/5/6) "puttonyos", (3/4/5/6)-"hud-ly".

The third problem: he addresses an "Aszúeszencia" as "Eszencia", which is not the same. But the pics render the bottles well.

Citing Florence: "KiralyudVAR" in fact is stressed "KIRalyudvar".
"Hétszölö" and "Szölöbirtok": Foggetaboutit (re pronunciation).

Hungarian is not *that* easy — I dont speak it myself, although my name is Hungarian, of course ... :wink:
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:05 pm

I call 'em "putts" and call it a day. I agree with Eric and crew that 5 is the minimum number for proper sweetness/acidity balance.