The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Back in NY wines (Copain, Ste Colombe, Goats Roam, Manciat, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Back in NY wines (Copain, Ste Colombe, Goats Roam, Manciat, etc)

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Thursday I got home rather late from airport (Betsy went from GA to CA to visit her parents), too tired to cook I stole one of David's frozen pizzas, a Trader Joes with red peppers, olves, and feta -not too bad,, actually. I opened a bottle of the 2004 Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay. I've really liked this bottle in the past, but this seemed a bit muted. Good acidity, ok white fruit, but just doesn't seem to come together. I don't like it any better on day 2 or 3, nothing perceptibly flawed, but nowhere near as good as two previous bottles. TCA under my threshold? B- for this bottle.

As I wasn't really getting into the white, I opened a red, the 2005 Clos du Tue-Boeuf Cheverny. Tight at first, then rather expansive. Fine sharp acids, bright red fruit sprinkled with pepper. Loamy earth aromas and a touch of herbs. Light, but quite refreshing, reminds me a bit of an excellent Bourgogne Passetoutgrains. B+

Friday after work I took the dog home and fed her, then over to a friend's birthday party. I got there too late for her husband's concert (he's no pro, but it's what she wanted for her birthday), but in plenty of time for a bunch of party nibbles and some wine:

2000 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon)
Round red currant and red plum fruit, light tannins, a touch of earth, clean finish. Not especially complex, but as Marc says "all you could want in a $9 Bordeaux". B+/B

2002 Goats do Roam (red)
Others liked this better than I did, I found it a little tired. Still, a decent Rhone pretender, with some spice notes over ripe red fruit. B/B-

2005 Copain "L'automne" Pinot Noir
I had quite liked this before, but this bottle seems sweeter. A little too ripe for my tastes, though others liked a lot. Not the acidic balance I remembered, a mild disappointment. B/B-

NV Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne
Better than the last bottle I had of this, but that's not saying much. I used to find this wine a value, but recent tastes have seemed somewhat short and coarse. This is a bit better, with nice apple pie fruit and toast/yeast notes, but still not much of a finish. B/B-

Nice party. I walked home (I felt clearheaded, but that's not a good barometer) and retried the Cheverny (hip hip hurrah) and the Macon-Charnay (yawn).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Back in NY wines (Copain, Ste Colombe, Goats Roam, Manciat, etc)

by Jenise » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:07 pm

Never had a red Cheverny. What's the grape?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:41 pm

Never had a red Cheverny. What's the grape?

Guessing Pinot Noir and Gamay?
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:20 pm

I think Cheverny can contain PN, Gamay, Cab Franc, and either Cot or Pineau d'Aunis (I forget, but seems there were 4), but from taste standpoint I'd guess Marc is correct about primary grapes in this one (but I'm often wrong!).
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:23 pm

Dale, I've also soured on the Feuillatte of late......it used to be a "go to" but as you described, it's become tart and rather unpleasant to drink the last few times I've had it.

I wonder what's changed.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Guessing Pinot Noir and Gamay?

Bingo! My understanding is that like Bourgogne Passetoutgrains -- making Dale's comparison spot-on -- Cheverny rouge must be a blend of these two grapes. I'm pretty sure that when producers like Puzelat make wines with other grapes like Cab Franc or Cot, they have to bottle them as Touraine rouge, even if they were grown within the appellation. Others with more knowledge may want to chime in, however.

Happy New Year to all.