The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: House Cleaning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: House Cleaning

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:07 pm

2002 Kangarilla Road Shiraz (McLaren Vale) 14%abv. Nice shiraz! I used to drink Aussie shiraz alot but it's been over a year since I've opened one. Not overly extracted at all. Decent fruit with some secondary development. It’s fairly robust with ripe fruit and bittersweet chocolate but the oak is tolerable. Nice long smoky finish. I’d get this again.

1993 R. López de Heredia Viña Gravonia (Rioja) 100% viura. 12% abv. This one needs air to open up and would benefit from more bottle age. Fairly deep sherried nose, burnt orange peel, butterscotch, old oak tannins, and a very dry finish. Good overall balance. The body is noticeably thin but filled out somewhat after 2 hours. I really like this style. Get more.

2001 Castello Della Paneretta Chianti Classico (Tuscany) 90% sangiovese, 10% canaiolo 13%abv. Rich with leather, earth, beef blood and dark fruit with some toasty oak. Much more barnyard than previous bottles. Good complexity, well balanced, plenty of acidity to go with red sauce, and a full finish. Very good.

1996 Salvatore Molettieri Taurasi Cinque Querce (Campagna) 100% aglianico. Decanted 2hrs. Dark, inky purple-black color. It’s a black hole in a glass. Nose is fairly restrained at first, showing little but wood and some dark fruit. Remember when we bought this the nose was explosive hot tar and fruit. Now the nose is pretty reticent, gradually opening up after 3hrs with an assortment of dried flowers, licorice and a hint of tar. Mouth is very full and very rich with coarse tannins and good acidity. Very enjoyable wine that got better and better as the bottled emptied…but still it’s pretty closed aromatically. Give it another 2-3 years of cellar time before checking again.

2005 Chateau Lamothe de Haux Blanc (Premières Côtes de Bordeaux) sauvignon blanc (40%), sémillon (40%), and muscadelle (20%). Nomacorc closure. Very lively profile of white grapefruit, cut grass, and delicate, fresh flowers. Light bodied, excellent acidity and a tart, crisp finish. This is simple and very refreshing.

1999 Domaine de Marcoux Chateâuneuf-du-Pape (S. Rhône) 14%abv. 80% grenache, 15% syrah, counoise, mourvedre. An elegant wine that is just waking up. Decent nose of black cherry and earth, sensually smooth mid-palate with mouth-enveloping, very fine, sweet tannins and a dark cherry with black pepper finish. The grenache is certainly the star in this blend. After 3 hours in a decanter the nose is starting to open up but I’m down to my last ½ glass. Give it another year.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: House Cleaning

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:27 pm

Nice notes there Bill. Finally opening the good ones eh!!!! Notice no Cab Franc there, happy new year to Lil and yourself!!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:48 am

Notice no Cab Franc there
I've got a few from Saumur to remedy this.

Happy New Year to you as well, Bob.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:14 pm

Have you ever tried Domaine Fouet? Can't find a lot on the web about the maker.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Have you ever tried Domaine Fouet? Can't find a lot on the web about the maker.
I haven't, Brian. Good stuff? Do you know who imports it?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Winewise, Oakland, CA,

Haven't opened the bottle yet. It is from 2003 :? and Napa-level ABV (14%!!!!), so we'll see. I do somewhat trust the shop owner who suggested it.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach