The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austerity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Austerity

by Mark S » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Sometimes a little more fruit cannot hurt a wine. I recently opened a Montevertine, IGT Toscana, 2007 that was acidic, light-medium bodied with sour red fruits (pomegranate, ripe cranberry and tart cherry). Although balanced, it could definitely have used more stuffing, and, dare I say, more fruit. B [interesting tasting notes in Cellartracker regarding this: an almost 50/50 split between those saying this was great, scores in the 90's, and the others claiming it tart and acidic. I had the second bottle.]
Another one is the Emrich-Schönleber, Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen, Riesling trocken, 2009. 12.5% alcohol. Tons of minerals, mint, calcium on the nose with strong minerality, a rocky finish, but freekin' austere. It's lacking something, despite being a decent wine. Sometimes I just wish there was a little more "there" there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Austerity

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Fruit? You want fruit? Going to have to kick you out of the cool kids club. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Austerity

by Jenise » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Mark S wrote: It's lacking something, despite being a decent wine. Sometimes I just wish there was a little more "there" there.

I can relate! I generally don't like obvious/easy, and I enjoy wines that require me to think. But they kinda gotta meet me halfway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov