The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Aubry Brut Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Aubry Brut Question

by Ed Draves » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:10 am

For New Years, I enjoyed the Aubry Brut (Premier Cru a Jouy-les-Reims). I noticed it was disgorged Feb, 2004. That is the month and year of my daughter's birth. Any thoughts on how long this Champagne will drink well? Any prayer for her 18th or 21st birthday? All thoughts are welcome.

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Aubry Brut Question

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Ed Draves wrote:For New Years, I enjoyed the Aubry Brut (Premier Cru a Jouy-les-Reims). I noticed it was disgorged Feb, 2004. That is the month and year of my daughter's birth. Any thoughts on how long this Champagne will drink well? Any prayer for her 18th or 21st birthday? All thoughts are welcome.

Dunno how this one got missed, Ed! Sounds like a lovely gesture, although in my opinion ancient Champagne is very much an acquired taste, as the wine gains richness but also eventually starts losing its fizz and showing oxidative qualities. The vintage-dated <i>tetes de cuvee</i> tend to be the obvious candidates for aging, particularly those that start out with eight or ten years on the lees before release, but I'd say the conventional wisdom is that non-vintage bottlings aren't meant for that kind of aging.

Of course, if you have a good cellar, there's no reason not to try it, but I'd advise against anticipating too much or attaching so much symbolism to the treasured bottle that anyone will be emotional about it if it's over the hill in 2025.