The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Bedrock Syrah, 2008 Hudson Vyd North

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

TN: Bedrock Syrah, 2008 Hudson Vyd North

by Jon Leifer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Tonight I opened and enjoyed Bedrock's 2008 Hudson Vineyard North "Pleine de Chene: Syrah (Carneros)
I have long been a fan of Bedrock wines tho I suspect that Tom Hill got there before I did.
Served tonight with a salad, Bison steaks and my wife's handcut steak fries
Bottle is quite heavy, cd be used as a weapon or Indian Club, kinda like some of the old Turley bottles(no recent experience re Turley)
back label indicates wine is HUGE,,Morgan's caps, not mine,..and he was not woofing..Only 2 barrels made..
Nose quite reticent at first but opened up quite nicely during the course of dinner, violets with a hint of bacon...Beautiful dark purple color, like an emperor's robe..Tannins long since resolved, seamless, smooth as silk,.Big wine indeed but not over the top ..Kudos well deserved, Morgan, well done indeed..With 20 days to go , easily my #1 wine of the year, surpassing a recent bottle of 1990 Pichon Baron..Reminds me of a worldclass Northern Rhone..My only regret is that I don't have a case of this remaining in the cellar. No rush if you have any, is not in danger of going over the hill..Can only wonder if subsequent vintages of this wine will turn out as well but wd not be surprised if they do..., have not had any disappointing wines from Bedrock as yet.
Jon