The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

A spotlight on Norton in one of Hermann Hill's newsletters

by Paul B. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:28 pm

This newsletter from Hermann Hill Vineyard & Inn, in Hermann, Missouri, will be of interest to all fellow Norton fans.

After waiting a long time, I have finally begun reading Paul Roberts' book on Cynthiana (and by extension, her twin brother Norton). What I wasn't aware of previously, being a-way up here in Ontario, is the significant history of German settlement in Missouri and the contribution of early German settlers to Norton winemaking. This is looking ever more like a must-see viticultural area.

I used to be content thinking that the abolition of the three-tier system would see Nortons come to us in Ontario, but now I don't think I'll wait - I would rather tour the state myself and maybe throw in Arkansas to boot (didn't Robin say at one point that the Norton/Cynthiana reds from the middle states were way funkier than the Virginian ones? If so, then it's settled!)
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: A spotlight on Norton in one of Hermann Hill's newsletters

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:36 am

Paul B. wrote:... is the significant history of German settlement in Missouri and the contribution of early German settlers to Norton winemaking. This is looking ever more like a must-see viticultural area.

I used to be content thinking that the abolition of the three-tier system would see Nortons come to us in Ontario, but now I don't think I'll wait - I would rather tour the state myself and maybe throw in Arkansas to boot (didn't Robin say at one point that the Norton/Cynthiana reds from the middle states were way funkier than the Virginian ones? If so, then it's settled!)

Paul - you have to go come to the New York wineries one of these days and it's a lot closer than Missouri. :wink: