The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2000 Bordeauxs--how they comin'?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

2000 Bordeauxs--how they comin'?

by Jenise » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Bob and I opened a disappointing 2000 Lascombes a weekend ago. And last night I pulled a Chasse Spleen after reading a disappointing note on CT from someone else but that wine, unlike the Lascombes, is just fine. I really haven't gotten into my 2000's yet; and have probably left several too long.

Anyway, I asked the guy who was unhappy with his CS what other 2000's he'd been disappointed in. His response: Leoville Poyferre, Pontet Canet, Maucaillou, Beau-Sejour Becot, L’Arrosee, Fonplegade, Grand Corbin-Despagne, Laroque, Haut Chaigneau and, of course, Chasse Spleen. On the other hand, Talbot was marvelous and Tour St Bonnet, Paloumey, Charmail, Moulin de Tricot and Cote de Baleau were satisfactory.

So I'm wondering what others think of the vintage at this point compared to initial expectations. Happy? Sad? Mixed?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: 2000 Bordeauxs--how they comin'?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:37 pm

What is this Boardie-yoo of which you speak? Do they still make it?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:01 am

2000 is maturing very, very slowly. Right now it's as if the wines are 10 years old, not 15.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:39 am

Haven't opened any yet.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:16 pm

I opened a Pichon Baron about 10 mo. ago and it was fabulous but primary and very young with tannins starting to resolve. A Poyferre about 1.5 yrs. ago was unyielding. I'll wait another 5+ years for my Clos St. Martin, Clos de Sarpe and remaining Baron and Poy. I think my 2001 Baron with lots of decant time will be ready sooner.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:43 pm

I think it's basically too early for anything outside of petit chateaux, satellites, etc. We did a midtier tasting this year and I thought lots of wines had potential, none at peak. Top three wines all had lots of air- Paul decanted P-Baron night before, I double-decanted Beychevelle and Talbot 8+ hours before serving.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:57 pm

That's reassuring, Dale, thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:34 pm

Gigault Cuvee Viva was still drinking very young a year ago. Not planning on touching Pontet-Canet for a few more years.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:22 am

The lower tier (4th and 5th growth) 2000’s were delicious early on. I bought a bunch of them because they were a comparatively good value at the time. Unfortunately, those wines peaked at about the age of ten and then nose-dived quickly. The little bit of 2000 Marquis, Montrose and Las Cases that I have seem to be a few years from peak yet.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:42 am

I dug out a few satellite and cru Bourgeois for drinking in short term.

Sam, what 4th and 5th growths did you think were in decline? In last couple years I've had Talbot, Beychevelle, Duhart-M, Lafon-R, GPL, Pontet Canet, Lynch Bages, du Tertre, Clerc Milon, Cantemerle . Didn't think any had peaked yet- only du Tertre and Lafon-Rochet wouldn't clearly benefit from another decade for my tastes (admittedly somewhat necrophiliac)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I had the same question Dale.
Decisions are made by those who show up