The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: d'Arenberg "The Money Spider" Rousanne 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: d'Arenberg "The Money Spider" Rousanne 2004

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm

McLaren Vale.

A very lively nose, peppery with pine resin.

Oily texture, bitter grapefruit rind, tart lemon and lime, some creaminess, intense gooseberry and some herbal notes.

With time, the wine became quite bitter with gooseberry and grapefruit rind dominating and the wine became quite annoying and grating.

Long, tart finish, with grapefruit rind and gooseberry.

This is a style that people will either love or hate. I am in the latter category and my wife and I were unable to finish the bottle (which is a major statement in our house!!)

Have had bottles from previous vintages and, while they were quite peppery and citrusy, I don't recall there being this extreme.

FWIW, the back label claims this is the McLaren Vale's "first ever Rousanne."

Screwcap closure.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: d'Arenberg "The Money Spider" Rousanne 2004

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Good on you for posting one of my fav. whites Bruce. I know where you are coming from but this wine is tops in my books. Will try to look up some tasting notes!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: d'Arenberg "The Money Spider" Rousanne 2004

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Interesting, a roussane from the McClaren Vale. Not crazy about MV whites at all, found them mostly too creamy, a word I notice you also use. This one sounds a bit odd: if you hadn't mentioned roussanne, I'd have sworn you were describing a sauv blanc.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov