The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Veuve Grande Dame 96, Sassicaia 88

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: Veuve Grande Dame 96, Sassicaia 88

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:14 am

I was the recipient of some generosity over the last few weeks. First, when a friend shared a bottle of Veuve Cliquot 1996 Grande Dame with me.....what a treat!
From memory, this was a complex wine featuring citrus, apple, nutty and yeasty flavors, rolled into a tight package with plenty of room to grow and gain. Elegant on the palate. Very nice Champagne.

Christmas Day, my brother finally opened the bottle of Sassicaia 1988 that I have been pestering him about. The bottle was a gift to him from a friend, at my brother's wedding back in '90, and he's been carting it around the country ever since. I told him if he didn't open it soon, he'd likely have some expensive vinegar on his hands.
The wine was youthful, still purplish, though showing some signs of age. Beautiful nose of cedar and lead pencil, with some forest floor and wild berries thrown in for good measure. On the palate the wine is powerful, showing the Cab Franc component. The tannins are fine - there are dark fruits, can I say brooding? The fruit expands on the palate and is quite mouth filling - I would say it was a chewy wine. The wine was left open for some time (even overnight) without any ill effects whatsoever. It was a real treat to taste. Thanks Luke.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Veuve Grande Dame 96, Sassicaia 88

by Randy Buckner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Veuve Cliquot 1996 Grande Dame

I think this beauty will be drinking well for another decade.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Veuve Grande Dame 96, Sassicaia 88

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:53 pm

The '96 Veuve Grande Dame is one fantastic Champagne. I'm not very fond of that house's Yellow Label, but the Grande Dame and Grande Dame Rose are fantastic.

-Paul W.