The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:2000 Leeuwin Estates (margret River) Artist Series chard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

WTN:2000 Leeuwin Estates (margret River) Artist Series chard

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:30 pm

Leeuwin Estates 2000 “Artist Series” chardonnay. The wine is a bit darker than I suspect it was three or so years ago, thereby showing some age.

Immediately upon pouring, I find that the wine has a rich and with overt fruit coming through, and with gentle swirling I start to get aromas of baking spice. Apples and pears with just a touch of tangerine. Spices include nutmeg and cloves. There is a bit of oak still evident, but it does not intrude, just plays a supporting role.

Once in the mouth I am finding a very, very good backbone of acid, which carry the fruit and spice, filling the mouth with an unctuous taste that makes me want another even before swallowing.

Upon swallowing I have a sense of bitterness way back in the throat, that while not what I was expecting, it is not unpleasant.

Going back to the color, I believe this wine may have seen a bit of heat in it’s storage, and is ever so slightly oxidized. Those who like their wine (as I do) with a bit of age, will like this wine very well.
Bob Henrick