The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pinot with dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Pinot with dinner

by Tom N. » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:54 pm

But not just any pinot.

Semitransparent ruby red wine fading to dark orange red edge. An expressive nose of earth, mushrooms, fresh beet root, and a hint of cherry. This sensuous wine caresses the midpalate with a veritable treasure trove of forest floor, cherry, and beet root flavors. Smooth tannins help this medium-bodied wine makes its well balanced-presence felt. A long luscious finish that is just wonderful.

Best Loring Pinot I have had :lol: . More balanced and less fruit forward than most Lorings. 2004 Durrell Vineyard, Sonoma County. 15.2% abv. unfiltered.

Food match: grilled salmon filet. Nice match but actually better match with mixed vegetables with melted butter.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Pinot with dinner

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:27 pm

Tom N. wrote: 15.2% abv.

Yikes! I had a glass of Rosellas and another of Garys(?) a few years ago and decided Loring just wasn't for me. There's clearly a big following though. Has Brian Loring always made such Shirazy Pinot Noir, or has there been a progression?

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Tom N. wrote:Best Loring Pinot I have had. More balanced and less fruit forward than most Lorings. 2004 Durrell Vineyard, Sonoma County. 15.2% abv. unfiltered.

15.2% ABV ??? That's gross. Was that Pinot Noir table wine or grape-flavored mouthwash? YUK. :evil:
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:57 pm

I am surprised by the "best" designation and the fact that it did not go well with Salmon although the "heat" could have something to do with that.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:22 am

Hi Bob,

The salmon was a bit fishy and that really made the taste match go a bit off. Yeah, best Loring is saying a bit much. I really loved it though. If I tasted it blind with other Loring pinots, I wouldn't swear I would choose it as best but I think it would definitely be in the top 3.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:29 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:15.2% ABV ??? That's gross. Was that Pinot Noir table wine or grape-flavored mouthwash? YUK. :evil:

Hi Clark,

I agree 15.2% is high, but it did not taste hot or overly fruity to me. It was definitely big for a pinot, but not shirazy in any way that I could taste. What really impressed me about this wine was its pinot nose and taste profile. The earthy and mushroomy notes were dominant over the fruity fragrances and a similar experience on the palate. Even with the high alcohol it really struck me as well balanced. I have had wines with much less alcohol that did not seem as balanced as this wine.
Tom Noland