The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Palmer, Angelus, DRC La Tache

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Palmer, Angelus, DRC La Tache

by Jay Labrador » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Met up with Bernie and Noel last Monday for some discussions on International Wine and Food Society business. Quickly got that out of the way and proceeded to a Peking Duck takeout dinner with a couple of reds. None of the wines really worked for me with the duck as the sweet sauce clashed. I would have preferred maybe a Spatlese. Bernie insisted he had one on hand but a search in the various Eurocavs couldn't turn one up.

Chateau Palmer 1990 - Lovely floral, Margaux nose. A bit woodsy on the palate with sweet spices. Started out rather well, soft tannins, fine structure. Started falling apart after 20 minutes in the decanter. Preserved Chinese plums, acidic finish. Too bad it didn't last.

Chateau Angelus 1999 - Good nose. Tobacco, coffee. Very meaty, rather foursquare wine. Soft tannins and good to drink now although judging by the fact that it hardly changed over the 4 hours or so it was open, I don't think there's any hurry to drink it up.

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti La Tache 1994 - Not content with the Bordeauxs, this was produced. Much anticipation here but unfortunately it was a dud. Nice enough on the nose but nothing special. Strange, muddy aspect to the rather dull color. Perhaps a bad bottle? Very green on the palate with strong, unpleasant acidity on the finish. Such a shame.

There was lots of other stuff opened. A dead Ostertag, an Ehrenfelser from Canada, a fine Clos de la Marechale from Mugnier and a white Grand Cru burg I can no longer recall.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Palmer, Angelus, DRC La Tache

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:18 am

I looked at the list of wines in the title and started to drool. Too bad they didn't live up to their reputations. I don't have a ton of experience with 1994 Burgundy, but from what I have had it's the single worst vintage in my drinking experience (which goes back to 1991). From my limited sample there are no good wines, just a few good bottles.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: WTN: Palmer, Angelus, DRC La Tache

by Fredrik L » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:05 am

Nothing wrong with your LT, it is just a terrible vintage.

My two cents.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L