The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Carlisle Derivative '13..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Carlisle Derivative '13..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 am

In celebration of Mike's BD, I was going to open his GV...but just couldn't bring myself to squander it on just myself..so cracked:
1. Carlisle TheDerivative WW (14.3%; Vines plntd: 1886-1920; 55% Semillon/25% Muscadelle/10% Palomino/10% Colombard; 365 cs) Windsor 2013: Med.gold color; lightly herbal/figgy/Semillon/green olive bit peppery/thyme some stony/mineral/chalky/perfumed talc fairly perfumed/aromatic nose; rather tart/steely/stony/chalky fairly rich/lush lightly floral/carnations rather figgy/Semillon/green olive/herbal fairly complex flavor; very long tart/tangy/steely/flinty/earthy rather figgy/green olive/herbal light floral/carnations fairly rich/lush finish; quite a nice old-timey Calif white.
1. The Muscadelle in this wine comes from the widely-planted (at one time) SauvVert...which made rather ordinary wines. And Colombard is well-known for making ordinary plonk. Interesting what these old grape varieties, now relegated to the trashbin of history, can make in the hands of a competent winemaker. Would be interesting if Mike can turn up some old GreenHungarian or GreyReisling in the area. Put FredWeibel & GusSebastiani to shame, it would.
Hadn't had this wine in about a yr. It appears to me, though distinctly Semillon, that the herbal elements are starting to come out. It reminded me most of a good Friulian TokaiFriulano.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Carlisle Derivative '13..(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 am

So Sauvigon Vert in California is, apparently, Friulano (formerly Tocai Friulano), or it's Muscadelle, but it can't be both, because they're not the same. An awful lot of folks have been labeling it Friulano lately. Now somebody's calling it Muscadelle. And, of course, the folks in charge of regulating these labeling practices wouldn't be able to tell the difference, because they don't know, and probably don't really care, since maybe they drink Bud light. Doesn't give a consumer a lot of confidence, does it?
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Confusing...

by TomHill » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:So Sauvigon Vert in California is, apparently, Friulano (formerly Tocai Friulano), or it's Muscadelle, but it can't be both, because they're not the same. An awful lot of folks have been labeling it Friulano lately. Now somebody's calling it Muscadelle. And, of course, the folks in charge of regulating these labeling practices wouldn't be able to tell the difference, because they don't know, and probably don't really care, since maybe they drink Bud light. Doesn't give a consumer a lot of confidence, does it?

It's sorta confusing, Steve. Some of the SauvVert identified in Calif is TokaiFriulano. But (according to MikeOfficer),
most of the SauvVert is Muscadelle. My impression is, if you take in some SauvVert, you can call it Muscadelle or
TocaiFriulano. The TTB uses them interchangeably I understand, even though they're not the same.
Certainly, Friuliano has more of a marketing cachet.
Not to worry, w/ our new Prez, them BudLite-drinkers will all be out of a job and we'll all be drinking KlugeEstate wine.
Tom