The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SF Chronicle Article on Lodi, CA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

SF Chronicle Article on Lodi, CA

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:51 pm

<table><tr><td colspan="2">I'm a Lodi fan, so I thought I'd post the following link to an SF Chronicle article on the place: Lodi Revival.

I need to say that the Michael-David fruit stand is more than just a fruit stand! Some pictures of the place follow. The last one on the right is a shot of the little experimental vineyard next to the Wine & Visitors' Center.

Also, my one fear for Lodi is that it is on the way to being "Napa-fied." Napa has had all the growing pains, so Lodi can learn from Napa's mistakes and might go right for the touristic jugular without some of the detours ... although I hope not.

</td></tr>
<tr><td align="middle">Image</td><td align="middle">Image</td></tr><tr><td align="middle">Image</td><td align="middle">Image</td></tr></tr></table>
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: SF Chronicle Article on Lodi, CA

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm

I was just visiting Lodi last weekend-had to go to the valley for a party anyway. I liked a MONSTER Zin from Van Ruitten-they were planning on releasing it as a "late harvest" desert wine but vinified it very, very dry instead. Thick, unctuous, rich, but not sweet. Awesome!

Downtown Lodi has some charm, as well. The Grands Amis winery had a very nice inky black Petit Sirah.

Borra was pretty nice south of Lodi. they had a quite interesting smoky Barbera from Mendocino County grapes that I enjkoyed.

And, I visited a place call D'Art Wines. A very, very distinct house style-quite thin, acidic, almost "sour" and too austere but you have to reflect the fact that the winemaker has a particular goal in mind (Didn't care for it, but again, tastes vary. there was a woman in the tasting room enthusing about them)