The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Sound and the Fleurie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: The Sound and the Fleurie

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Tuesday I roasted a chicken with potatoes and carrots, served the 2001 Ch. Potensac (Medoc). Medium-bodied, sweet cassis and black plum fruit. Tannins are a tad gritty, but as evening progresses they smooth out. This isn't a blockbuster, but a ripe rather classic Bordeaux with a little oak spice and decent length. Not a wine to especially search out, but at end of evening I'll be damned if bottle was empty. Good sound claret for $14. B/B+

Wednesday I discovered a local Rotary club had had a minor communications disaster, and no one was set to deliver suits to a bunch of homeless guys having job interviews. So had to do myself. Not much time for dinner first, I threw some chicken breasts in a pan for a quick sautee and made a white wine sauce. I had a glass of the cooking wine with dinner. The 2006 Giesen Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Not especially long, a lighter styled SB with gooseberry and citrus fruit, a bit of grass. Acceptable for $8.xx B/B-

When I returned from city, I contemplated the SB but felt more like red. Opened the 2005 Clos de Roilette (Coudert) Fleurie and had a glass. Bigger and denser than the 2002 & 2004 vintages that I so enjoy. It's more tannic than I expected, and while I enjoy it I'm not wowwed. However.......Thursday I had a crazy day (funeral, etc) that happily culminated with picking up Betsy at Newark airport. We called in a pizza order from the road, and with our sausage/onion/mushroom pie went into the 2005 Coudert Fleurie. NOW this is singing. Vibrant acidity, the tannins still present but less bothersome- now just providing some background structure. Big cherry fruit with a tinge of cranapple, some mineral and earth, good length. A-/B+, solid A for value.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: The Sound and the Fleurie

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 pm

Dale, you always seem to eat (and drink) so well, and we are grateful for your notes on the wines you enjoy. I may be wrong, but I do not ever recall a note on FLDG telling us how you (or Betsy) made the food...and I bet there would be some cut and paste of those recipes.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:28 am

Bob,
I've actually posted numerous recipes on FLDG, though usually at request. Betsy is the real cook, and just not into online fora. I think Robin has even used variations on those recipes (like chicken and figs) for the food newsletter.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:40 pm

I will go look for them Dale, because they always sound so good.
Bob Henrick