The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2012 Alexander Valley Cyrus/Madonna Estate/Ridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

2012 Alexander Valley Cyrus/Madonna Estate/Ridge

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:17 am

With shepherd's pie.

One of my favorite California Bordeaux blends!

That lovely Cyrus mouth feel and savory profile, moderate alcohol. Tannins not obtrusive-this is pretty smooth drinking right now.

Only complaint (and only from me, not my friends) is that the oak is pretty evident at this point in evolution. But that will mellow out with time.

2008 Madonna Estate "Riserva" Pinot Noir Carneros. Not a typical Carneros cherry fruit bomb. Instead, earth, sour plum, black cherry. Smooth tannins. A tangy element to this wine that is very attractive! A nice wine from a hidden legacy winery.

2012 Ridge "Mill" (York Creek Vineyard) Napa Valley Zinfandel. This was a nice new one for me! All about earthy black plum and zinberry fruit. Not fruit-bomby at all. Instead, forest floor and a definite savory element! Their rose was also lovely that afternoon, but the zin stood out.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach