The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Matayac and G.B. Tautavel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

WTN: Chateau Matayac and G.B. Tautavel

by Robert J. » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:44 pm

I had this wine with my Cassoulet since it (the wine) is from Cahors.

Chateau Matayac Cahors Vintage 2002.

Color was a great, dark red but not quite black with a little bright red at the edge. It took the legs a zillion years to start falling and the viscosity of the wine reflected this

On the nose there was a lot of earth, leather, toast, chocolate, and a hint of rosemary (?).

On the palate there was still a lot of earth, chocolate, dried cherries, prunes, and even some hay(?). The tannins were pretty strong when I opened it but the wine blossomed nicely over four hours. It really sets up camp in the mouth and has a nice, long finish.

The price was $12 (U.S.) and was a steal at that. I really like the Languedoc wines and this was a winner for me. I'm getting more.

The Bertrand Tautavel was less impressive. I got what I should have expected from this big producer: a wine that was austere and one demensional. But I have had wines from him before that I liked well enough.

On the nose there was a lot of tar and something kind of charred but the color was lighter than the nose would imply.

On the palate the body was medium-heavy with notes of blackberries, maybe. The strange thing is that after being open for 30 minutes the nose and palate took on a very strong grapefruit(!!!!) smell/taste. This caught me off gaurd. Any thoughts on that?

The vintage on the Tautavel was 2002.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Chateau Matayac and G.B. Tautavel

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:51 am

Robert: Have you ever tried Ch. Lagrezette. My first Cahors. I've somewhat enjoyed some of the (gasp!) California Malbecs I've tried over the year.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 am

California Malbecs

Interesting. Is there a particular part of California that is most promising for malbec?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 pm

The producer was DeLorimer/Mosaic in upper Alexander Valley. I've also had a Malbec froma Rutherford producer (Elizabeth Spencer), but I can't remember the grape source.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Huh. Was wondering how the tannins would differ in CA, as I understand malbec is a late-ripening variety that needs long sun exposure to calm the harshness.

But I'm no farmer.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:45 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Robert: Have you ever tried Ch. Lagrezette. My first Cahors. I've somewhat enjoyed some of the (gasp!) California Malbecs I've tried over the year.

I have not tried it. I'll look for it, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check out some other Cahors and post them when I do. I'll also look for some Cal Mal and check it out.

rwj