The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best Wine Cooler To Buy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

owain.brown1

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:53 am

Best Wine Cooler To Buy

by owain.brown1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:55 am

Hi,

Decided I want to get a wine cooler for my collection of wines. There appears to be a variety of options and costs.

I've got a mixture of red and white wine.

Anybody else got 1 or recommend anything?

Thanks Owain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Best Wine Cooler To Buy

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Shall I assume you want a drink that goes well with spam? :lol:
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Thu May 05, 2016 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

owain.brown1

Rank

Cellar rat

by owain.brown1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi,

Sorry you feel that way.

I've got 33 bottles at last count with nearly a 50/50 split of red and white wines.

Is it worth paying the extra for a dual zone cooling system?

Plus I've noticed built-in coolers are more expensive. There's just so many options and varieties and they're not exactly cheap I just thought it would be better to get some opinions from real people as opposed to reading manufacturer reviews (who obviously make out everything is great)

Owain

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Shall I assume you want a drink that goes well with spam? :lol:

Wait, what am I missing here? Where's the pink meat, Jeff? I don't see a product link in the OP. If this is a legitimate question, that's not a very welcoming response.
no avatar
User

owain.brown1

Rank

Cellar rat

by owain.brown1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Well I've had warmer welcomes. Guess I'll keep researching elsewhere.

Although appears some decent topics within this forum. Will read on in the shadows.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Sorry about the welcome wagon. As for wine coolers, you will find that people have good and bad to say about every brand. I would pretty much just go for the one that specifically suits your needs. Sounds like you need a 2 zone unit if you are planning to drink the wines directly from the cooler. Those tend to cost extra. My only extra bit of advice would be to get one that is single zone and throw the white wine in the fridge for a bit before opening. Less to go wrong with a single zone unit.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I think David's advice is spot on considering that you seem to be just starting in collecting wines. The other thing is capacity, how much do you drink and how much do you think you'll be buying over time?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Lou raises a good point. If you think you need a small wine cooler you will soon need a bigger one, unless you have more willpower than every other wine enthusiast on the planet. :)
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I assume (never a good thing) that Jeff is referring to a wine cooler like Bartles & Janes but either way that was rather rude.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 pm

<nothing here>
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Thu May 05, 2016 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:19 am

Please excuse Jeff, Owain. What has happened in the past is that newcomers without introducing themselves have asked specific questions that have led to (covert) commercial solicitations on their part. Obviously that is not the case here so welcome to the forum! How long have you been into wine?

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

owain.brown1

Rank

Cellar rat

by owain.brown1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:01 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

It seems larger the storage the better.... do we all have drink problems??? lol

I've been into wine for around 3 years now. Was a beer drinker but my waistline couldn't cope with the calories so I switched to wine as I find it more refreshing and certainly compliments food when I get the right bottle.

But I'm finding sticking bottles in the refrigerator is taking up space. So a wine cooler specifically for storage and cooling purposes seems the way forward.

I'll let you all know when I decide on 1. So much choice, but I'm thinking definitely need to go larger than my current collection so I could continually add to it.

Thanks all.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 am

We don't have drinking problems, we have buying problems. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:We don't have drinking problems, we have buying problems. :mrgreen:

Exactly.
I'd recommend getting more capacity than you think you need, and just one zone. Unless you are constantly walking in door and grabbing a bottle, pulling your reds and standing them up to warm up just a bit should work just fine (or cooling whites, depending on where you set temp).
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:45 am

You'll definitely end up wanting a bigger cooler. That's the life of a wino. So one question becomes, how much room do you have?
Could you go for one as big as a refrigerator? 30 bottles can become 100 in a flash, believe me. I used to keep a couple of dozen in a closet, and suddenly it became a closet with 90 bottles and nothing else in it. Now I have a cooler/cellar in the garage with about 300 bottles.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Owain, welcome to the forum! I've been away (tasting wine) so am late to throw in my two cents which is absolutely nothing original--everyone is saying what I'd say too. But I'll say it anyway--I once thought my world would be complete when I had around 150 bottles. When I got to 150 I realized it would be more like 300. At 300 I still didn't feel like I had anything to wear so I upped the number to 500. I now have four times that. This is what loving wine will do to you. Get the most capacity you can afford! Re brands, the best seem to be U-Line and Marvel, but they can be pretty pricey. You might check Craigslist in your area for an older Eurocave or Vinotemp (I had one of the latter once, but not for very long). I just came back from visiting friends who have a Eurocave that has run reliably, without interruption, for about 30 years now!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Owain

1)
If you've been interested in wine for just 3 years and you already have 33 wines you are intending to keep for some time, then it's almost certain in a years time you'll have many more and in 2 years time 33 will be a fond memory,

So, go for as big as you can.

2) If you need wine to be at right temp for drinking, then a fridge is all you need, just stick in a red 15-30 mins before you need it, a white for 1 - 2 hours, depending how cold your fridge is

3) If you're intending to age wine for years* then you need a wine storage system that mimics a cellar rather than a cooler

4) You don't show where you live; but if you're in a very hot place without aircon, then again a wine storage system that mimics a cellar

*but it wouldn't be a good investment as it's almost 100 certain your tastes will change as you discover more about wine and teh stuff you love today you just will not want to open.

Welcome to the forum. We love questions - ask away. You might even get a couple of us agreeing on the answer :)
no avatar
User

owain.brown1

Rank

Cellar rat

by owain.brown1 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for all the replies. I've been looking further into this and I'm close to a decision.

The http://www.coolingwines.com/ website I came across some helpful info.

Then having searched amazon some more I've settled for this http://www.amazon.com/EdgeStar-Bottle-Built--Wine-Cooler/dp/B007KIGNTM/ref=sr_1_2?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1462403307&sr=1-2&keywords=CWR531SZDUAL

These have doors that swing either left or right on opening. So I'm going to buy 2 and place them side by side with 1 opening to the left and other to the right and giving me a whopping 106 bottle storage. Should keep me busy filling this up, well I'll try, but I need to stop drinking the bottles first.

Again thanks for all your replies.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Let us know how it works out.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed May 04, 2016 11:03 pm

Hey, now you have this big new wine cooler, you can buy whatever you want and just stuff it in the cooler, right?
Right.
Until the cooler is overstuffed like your favorite lounge chair. :twisted:
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

owain.brown1 wrote:The http://www.coolingwines.com/ website I came across some helpful info.

Owain, how did you happen to come across that particular website? :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 am

Hulk-Smash.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 05, 2016 10:05 am

His FB profile is nothing but a woman and a baby. That led me to suspect him in the first place, plus I took him to say he had 33 bottles of wine spritzer.

Now, WHOIS tells me that he owns that website.

He's a f*cking slimy scum-sucking spamball.

And you all talked me out of it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 am

Here's the deal, Jeff: I'd rather operate from a perspective of welcoming wayfaring strangers and being kind, until they give us a reason to act otherwise. I liked Owain's original response to our questions. I'm irritated about the "I discovered this website" when it's actually his own. I'll be curious to see his response to that. One step at a time. :P
Next