The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three from Prima....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three from Prima....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 am

Tried these three over the weekend:
1. Prova Regia Reserva DOC: Bucelas Arinto (13.5%; www.WineVentures.EU) Quinta da Romeira 2014: Med.gold color; rather fragrant floral/mango/malvasia-like spicy/peach blossom slight stony/earthy/steely perfumed lovely nose; very tart/dry/austere quite floral/mango/peach blossom perfumed/malvasia-like light stony/metallic lovely flavor; very long/lingering rather tart/steely/stony/austere totally dry quite perfumed/floral/mango/peach blossom finish; lovely floral aromatics w/ an underlying dry austerity; a lovely white at a stupid/silly price. $15.18 (PrimaIlC)
2. Esoterica by KentRasmussen CabSauv NorthCoast (13.5%) Napa 2014: Very dark color; very strong ripe/blackcurranty/Cab/plummy/boysenberry/black cherry cola slight toasty/charred/oak ripe Cabernet quite attractive nose; bit soft lush/ripe chocolaty/blackcurranty/Cab/plummy light earthy/herbal light toasty/charred/oak flavor w/ light firm tannins; very long soft/lush/ripe mouthfilling blackcurranty/Cab/black cherry cola/chocolaty/plummy light charred/oak balanced/structured finish w/ some firm tannins; a very attractive ripe Cab that should go out 4-8 yrs; a delicious Cab at a great price. $16.00 (PrimaIlC)
3. Dom.Pradelle AC: Crozes-Hermitage (100% Syrah; 12.5%; H.MercerImports/StudioCity) J&J-L Pradelle/Chanos 2013: Dark color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah bit peppery/roasted light toasty/oak/smokey rather fragrant nose; rather tart/sinewy/tight strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah slight earthy/dusty rather peppery/savory/roasted light smokey/oak flavor w/ light lean/hard tannins; very long bit roasted/peppery slight earthy/dusty/granitic strong blackberry/Syrah/blueberry light smokey/oak very structured finish w/ modest hard tannins; needs 2-8 yrs; speaks more of ElDorado Syrah than NorthernRhone but w/ more structure; a wonderful NRhone Syrah at a great price.
$15.80 (PrimaIlC)
1. The Prima IlConsorzio/WalnutCreek wine club is the only retailer-associated to which I belong. Every month, FrankRothstein ships out a 3-pak of interesting/value priced wines. Sometimes they leave me scratching my head over what this or that wine is all about. Other times, there will be maybe one I really like and am tempted to reorder. But they are always something that will pique my curiosity. However, on this month's selection, Frank knocked it outta the park. All three were outstanding and great values. Kudos to Frank.
2. Arinto: Arinto is a synonym of Malvasia Fina and Loureiro blanco. Which explainswhy it reminded me of Italian Malvasia. Actually, I found it had a strong similarity to Carso Malvasia di Istria, but w/ a more intense perfume. Bucelas is a wine-growing region just North of Lisboa.
3. Esoterica: This is a label that KentRasmussen uses for some of the more esoteric (since when can Cab be considered esoterica??) varietals he makes and one step above his C.Ramsey label. Kent makes some of the finest Chard & Pinot in the Carneros. I have, of course, followed Kent from the very start.
4. H.Mercer Imports: This was the first wine from them I've tried. They have a very interesting portfolio (www.hmercerimports.com/) and I plan to be on the look-out for more of their wines. Run by MarkHuddleston and Laurent Michit.
Tom