The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: delicious Croatian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: delicious Croatian

by Patchen Markell » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 am

Zlatan Otok 2012 Pošip Vrhunsko Vino, Makarska vineyard, Croatia. 14%.* Pošip is an autochthonous Dalmatian white grape; these vineyards are located above the coastal town of Baška Voda. ("Vrhunsko" is the top tier of the three Croatian quality designations.) The wine is a medium-deep straw color in the glass. Not strongly aromatic but intensely flavorful, melding together a layer of citrus, orange-oil, and apricot with another of light waxiness and white pepper, reminiscent of Grüner -- but suffused throughout with a surprising acidity and salinity that lifts what might otherwise be a heavy wine and makes it light on its feet. The combination of richness and liveliness made this a terrific match for a variety of seafood dishes, and even a duck preparation. Totally vindicates the half-hour I spent poking around on the web researching Publican's current wine list yesterday afternoon, and makes me really excited to try the Plavac Mali we have from the same producer in our queue at home.

*The producer's website indicates that the typical ABV for this wine is 13-13.5% so 2012 must have been a hot year on the Adriatic coast. Still, there's no hint of alcoholic heat here.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmmm..

by TomHill » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:16 am

Patchen Markell wrote:Zlatan Otok 2012 Pošip Vrhunsko Vino, Makarska vineyard, Croatia.

Hmmm...sounds like something right up my alley, Patchen. Who is the importer of this wine??
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: delicious Croatian

by Patchen Markell » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:59 am

Hi Tom, I figured you'd already have known about this! I forgot to check the strip last night, and it turns out that the red I have at home is from a different producer, but it looks like Zlatan Otok is imported by Vinum USA, which specializes in Croatian and Slovenian wine: http://www.vinumusa.com/

Here's a story about the popularity of Balkan wines in Chicago restaurants, which mentions another local importer that might interest you (Eduard Seitan, who's mentioned in the article, runs the list at Publican, where we had this bottle.)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... he-balkans
cheers, Patchen