The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yes, syr...ah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Yes, syr...ah

by Jenise » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:11 pm

So we opened a bunch of WA syrahs and syrah blends on the 4th of July. Other than Reynvaan and the Copain listed here, I'm not the biggest fan of new world syrah, though either the wines are changing or my resistance is wearing thin as I increasingly find some examples I like. Gramercy is obviously a producer I need to get to know better. The theme made perfect sense since I had a bunch of one-offs, plus the Spohns were coming and I thought it would be a fun look at what's going on here in Washington. I too wanted more perspective--I tend to have one here, one there, with a lot of blank space inbetween. Unaware of my plans, Bill surprisingly showed up with a pair of old Aussies--they fit right in!

1998 Fox Creek Shiraz McLaren Vale
Showing quite well--extracted notes of cassis, blueberry and herbs with a hint of maple on the finish (maybe because it was brought by a Canadian? Joke....)

1997 Fox Creek Shiraz McLaren Vale
It's dead, Jim.

2008 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah The Contender Walla Walla Valley
Outstanding in every regard. Balance, funk, weight, fruit, acidity, tannins--it's a Washington Hermitage. Just wow. WOTN.

2010 Copain Syrah Tous Ensemble Mendocino County, California
Interesting secondary nuances are filling out what has been a very interesting wine since I first purchased a case three years ago. I regret that I only have two left. Flavors of black plum and black raspberry with fennel and white pepper; and still quite bright. The outlier, in all the right ways, among a crowd of mostly Washington syrahs. A crowd favorite.

2013 L'Ecole No. 41 Syrah Columbia Valley
Harvey Steiman will LOVE this wine. Big core of ripe fruit, and perfectly correct--tastes good, and will offend no one. I just found it a little too textbook and boring, a little lacking in some kind of character compared to the other wines on the table. Eh.

2003 Dunham Cellars Syrah Double River Estate Vineyard Columbia Valley
Dear Eric Dunham, why did you not want to live to see how beautiful this wine is at age 14? It showed complex, spicy red fruit with mature notes of leather and burning incense. Good acidity and tannins still hold it all together. Should hold here for a few years. You'd have been so proud!

2008 Grand Rêve Vintners Collaboration Series II Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Red Mountain
Very concentrated, opulent style which I'm typically not a fan of but this bottle is nonetheless beguiling and it showed even better on Day Two. Very youthful, has a long future ahead--would guess it's prime years will be 2019-2022.

2005 Long Shadows Wineries Syrah Sequel Columbia Valley
Cork slid out a bit too easily; wine was OTH. So I opened another:

This bottle had a snugger cork than the first, but though drinkable the acidity and tannins are pretty well spent and oxidation's just around the corner. Drink up!

2013 Rôtie Cellars Northern Blend Washington Syrah Blend, Syrah
Gorgeous, complex and sexy young nose of raspberries, plums, baking spices and violets. Big bodied and quite sweet on the palate. Elegant and obviously well made, but needs time to harmonize the sugar.

2010 Gramercy Cellars L'Idiot du Village Washington Syrah blend
My other favorite. If one of these wines had been a French ringer, it would have been this. St. Joseph-like (yes I know a St. Joe would be all syrah and this wasn't, but still) green olive and white pepper on perky raspberry fruit with just a tad of barnyard for authenticity. Restrained sweetness with good acidity; great form overall. Drank well over two days; am pushing the drink window out to 2020.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: Yes, syr...ah

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:12 pm

Jenise wrote:2005 Long Shadows Wineries Syrah Sequel Columbia Valley
Cork slid out a bit too easily; wine was OTH. So I opened another:

This bottle had a snugger cork than the first one we opened, and though drinkable the acidity and tannins are spent and oxidation's just around the corner. Drink up!

Was that made by John Duval. I think the 04 was. I still have some bottles, that I really wish I had already drank up. In its youth it was terrific.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 pm

The 03 definitely was. The 04 maybe--but my best guess is that after the first vintage or two they just send these names a check. For the most part (I would say with the exception of the Pirouette, though I don't know why it would be different), subsequent vintages did not closely resemble the original on any of them. But yeah, these were good. Last one I had before these was 9/15 and it was in fine shape--wouldn't have expected them to run out of gas this fast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 am

Great notes, thanks. The name Gramercy Cellars rings a very faint bell for me but I don't think I've ever had one; between this and the rosé I'm going to start looking.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Patchen, you won't be disappointed. If the name rings a bell, it might be because it was one of the names I and others brought up back when the Eric Asimov WA tasting was being discussed--I'm bottom-lining it but essentially they drank Mark Ryan instead of Gramercy and concluded that Washington's syrahs hadn't evolved. :roll:
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 am

Right, that must have been it! Same thread in which I read about Reynvaan, I think. Thanks!
cheers, Patchen