The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent Bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN: Recent Bottles

by John S » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:12 pm

• 2004 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (2016-06-28)
    Contrary to other notes, I found this still quite young, with only a little secondary notes showing. That said, it was still a great chablis, very dry and steely, with a little butterscotch on the medium-full bodied palate. Wait if you can (although of course premox is always a concern). (A-)
  • 1999 Tyrrell's Sémillon Vat 1 - Australia, New South Wales, Hunter Valley (2016-06-27)
    This was really young and tight still. Still little secondary flavours here, which surprised me. I'll wait another 5 years at least for my last bottle. (B+)
  • NV Michel & Damien Pinon Vouvray Brut - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2016-06-25)
    I enjoyed this wine again very much. It really has good power and depth for a relatively cheap sparkling wine, and the chenin flavours shine through, which is a big plus for me. Very flavourful, but not overbearing. (A-)
  • 2007 Walla Walla Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon Sagemoor Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2016-06-25)
    Nice cab I had with three other WA cabs. This was the best of the bunch, with a bit more structure and acids than the rest. All very similar in the flavour profile, with classic cab characteristics. (B+/A-)
  • 2008 Hightower Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2016-06-25)
    Had this with two other WA Cabernets, and this was probably the best of the three, as the other too were too low acid and structure for me (with too much RS in the palate as well). This had a bit more structure, but still was fairly simple though it was solid cab. (B+)
  • 2009 Fidelitas Cabernet Sauvignon Champoux Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (2016-06-25)
    Had this with the Januik Champoux 2008, and both wines were disappointing, with too much sweetness in the fruit, no structure and a fair amount of oak still. Very soft in the mouth, concentrated and a full bodied palate with blackfruits. Both were OK, but were too ripe and didn't have enough acid or structure for me. (B+)
  • 2008 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Champoux Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (2016-06-25)
    Hazy notes from two days ago. This had a nice nose, and good varietal characteristics in the full bodied palate. But there seemed to be a bit of RS left in the wine and a fair amount of oak, which brought the marks down for me. It was too soft, with little tannins or structure. This is a characteristic I've seen in several WA Bordeaux blends recently. I don't know if this is my palate changing, but I'm finding this style (overt sweetness, little structure and too much oak) boring and tiring to drink. (B+)
  • 2013 De Martino Muscat Viejas Tinajas - Chile, Itata Valley (2016-06-25)
    This was even worse than my last bottle. I've tasted a few orange wines, a liked some, but this was just all over the place, with weird, off-putting flavours, little varietal characteristics and little charm. (C-)
  • 2003 Chateau Musar Rosé - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (2016-06-25)
    My first bottle of this was a hot mess, so this bottle was a great surprise. Definitely the best rose I've ever had, although to call it a rose seems almost unfair: it drinks like a white or perhaps even red wine, with lots of body, concentration and heft. It is similar to the white Musar is many ways, and it also shares the funky flavours with the red Musar too. Really a fascinating, impressive wine that is called a rose but drinks more like a 'normal' wine. Sorry I don't have any more! (A)
  • 2012 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Diversite - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2016-06-23)
    This was popped and poured last night, and was open and ready from the beginning.The balance was outstanding and really lifted this wine to the next level. red fruits and lots of asian spice on the medium bodied palate. The acidity really gave it a spark.Still young, but definitely really delicious right now. Wish I had more! (A-)
  • 2004 Domaine Tempier Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (2016-06-23)
    Had this a couple of days ago. A very impressive wine from the get-go. It had a great nose of all the classic mourvedre wines: game, leather, black licorice and iron, and these flavours all appeared in the full bodied, concentrated palate. Healthy but ripe and integrated tannins. No heat at all. Great now but will certainly last for years. (A-)
  • 2015 Synchromesh Riesling Thorny Vines Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2016-06-23)
    Another impressive riesling from Synchromesh. An interesting sweet and sour mix of flavours here, with a sweet entrance but a fairly dry finish. Mainly in the citrus fruit spectrum, not very complex, but tasty. Still young, of course. (B+)
  • 2011 Toni Jost Bacharacher Hahn Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mittelrhein (2016-06-19)
    I had this a couple of days ago, and it was drinking well already. Nicely balanced, off dry, medium weight and a relatively lean kabinett style wine (though it was probably at least spatlese ripeness). Easy to drink, with a mix of mainly stonefruit on the palate. Tasty and good QPR. (B+/A-)
  • 2005 Vignobles Brisebarre Vouvray Demi-Sec - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2016-06-18)
    This second and last bottle showed a little better than the first bottle. I didn't take notes, but this has integrated very well and was less sweet than the previous bottle. Still not the intensity or power of the top vouvrays. I think it's time to drink these up. (B+)
  • 2015 Synchromesh Riesling Four Shadows Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2016-06-13)
    Heard the hype for this producer's rieslings, so I thought I'd give one a try. Very interesting. I didn't take notes, but this was an off dry wine that had a range of citrus and stonefruit flavours. The flavours were a little simplistic on the medium-bodied palate, but the acidity provided nice intensity to the wine. I'd say this is similar to a kabinett in style, though less rich than German reislings, and without the minerality of the best Ontario rieslings. But it was certainly a tasty, interesting wine. (B+)
  • 2014 von Winning Deidesheimer Paradiesgarten Riesling trocken - Germany, Pfalz (2016-05-01)
    Light gold in colour. Honeyed pear, minerals and sulphur on the lovely nose. Medium bodied on the crisp palate, with lemon, lime, pineapple and minerals. Crisp and clean. (B+)
  • 2008 Franz Proidl Grüner Veltliner Reserve Vom Urgestein Senftenberger Ehrenfels - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal (2016-04-17)
    Didn't take notes, but this was a sweet style of gruner, similar to a spatlese in weight and texture. Complex range of flavours on show here. I remember the winemaker saying this stopped fermenting and he didn't force further development (which was unusual in Austria). Different from the norm but very good, Great now but will certainly last. (A-)
  • 2001 Château Cambon La Pelouse - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (2016-04-10)
    I thought this might be a little long in the tooth, but it still tastes quite youthful. Dark purple in colour, with a lovely, deep nose of black fruits, cedar, tar and chocolate. Nicely structured, with nice, ripe tannins on the concentrated, medium-full bodied palate.Moderate length with perhaps a touch too much oak still in evidence. Great QPR at the 'old' pricing. This has turned out well, but will last at least several more years. (A-)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Recent Bottles

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 am

Nice post sir!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Really interesting set of wines. I'm stuck waiting several more years for my stash of Tempier to be remotely ready.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:48 pm

John, great notes. Re the WA wines, you have given me the perfect opportunity to make the observation that the 08 vintage mystifies me. Considering that it was a cool vintage that produced wines with generally more structure than usual (based on my 14 years here), the degree of sweetness in the cabs (I've had so far) makes no particular sense to me and has been a surprise every time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov