The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Champagne and Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Champagne and Bordeaux

by Jay Labrador » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:59 pm

Some of the wines served at last night's board meeting of the International Wine and Food Society. Short notes on the wines as I was the secretary of the meeting and couldn't really concentrate on what I was drinking.

Champagne Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon Rose 1996 - Ripe raspberry and strawberry. Medium-bodied. I liked it more when it was still a bit warmer than the usual temp for champagne as it seemed less acidic. Still, very good and lots of life ahead.

Champagne Dom Perignon 1996 - One of my all time favorite DPs, this bottle didn't disappoint. Full, rich and still very young. White chocolate and nougat. Deep flavor. This could go on for another 20 years without any problems. Fantastic stuff.

Reserve de la Comtesse 1996 - Quite soft but fleshy. Leather and mushroom on the palate. Very good and at peak. Drink now.

Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste 1995 - Soft tannins with a bit of weight to it. Nice, classic Bordeaux. Cedar, cigar box. Blackberry and charred meat. At peak. Drink now.

Chateau Cheval Blanc 2002 - Decanted about 2 hours. Still fairly dark with just a bit of bricking on the edge. Very fragrant floral notes. Really lovely nose. A touch of heat on the nose. Sweet ripe plum and blackberry mixed in with some meaty notes. Balsamic, forest floor, quite complex. Silky smooth and rich. Good length. Already open for business and some thought it was already about as good as it was going to be but I think it still has some ways to go although it is a very attractive wine at this stage.

We also had a Rustenberg Five Soldiers Chardonnay 2010 from Stellenbosch and a Roulot Meursalt Les Tessons Clos de Mon Plaisir 2007, but I didn't really give them much attention.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.