The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Idaho reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Three Idaho reds

by Ryan M » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Back in March, I was fortunate to be treated to a few Idaho reds by some friends who live there and are very familiar with and big fans of the wines. This was a real eye-opener. These wines are competitive with the mid-tier wines from Cali and Washington, and are apparently incredibly well priced: most of what these friends buy is around the $20 mark, and I would expect to pay significantly more for wines of this quality from the other West Coast states. Stylistically, Idaho wines seem to be in-between Cali and Washington, combining the best of both. In short, Idaho seems ready to take the wine world by storm, if they care to.

Williamson Vineyard, Windmill Red, Snake River Valley 2008
50% Sangiovese, 25% Cab Sauv, 25% Petite Sirah. Lovely, rich, and aromatic nose, with black cherry, blackberry liqueur, Petite Sirah’s mint and juniper, roses, italianate overtones of red raspberry and orange rind, with tobacco, leather, and black earth; wonderful nose. Similar notes on the palate, with a touch of juicy blueberry; rich, dark, juicy fruit, with pleasant jammy undertones. Full bodied and rich but also elegant, with good acid tone. My only nit-pick with this wine is that its 14% alcohol is a bit exposed. But never mind that, I like it! 3 more years maybe, but no need to wait. 3.5 Stars [3/6/16]

Sawtooth, Cabernet Sauvignon, Snake River Valley 2010
Excellent, aromatic nose, with loads of blueberry/acai, blackberry, currant, orange rind, flowers, and tobacco, with lots of sweet, chocolatey, minerally earth, all overlaid with cassis liqueur. Same notes on the palate, with dark, rich, juicy fruit, and juicy red plum providing nice freshness and balance. Big body with succulent texture, and loads of chalky tannin. Showing very young still, almost aggressive; I’d say give it 5 years to resolve a bit. Should last another 10 years or more. Exceptional. 3.5 Stars. [3/7/16]

Williamson Vineyard, Petite Sirah, Reserve, Snake River Valley 2010
Lovely, rich, aromatic nose, with abundant blackberry liqueur, a touch of blueberry, and currant, with roses, tobacco and juniper, mint, chocolate, and earth; a whiff of orange rind too; excellent nose. Identical notes on the palate, with the addition of an iron note near the finish, and pepper. Very full bodied, with rich, lush but juicy fruit, bright, excellent acid tone, and generous, slightly spicy tannin that is already resolved. 5 to maybe 10 more years, depending on your preferences. Compelling! 3.5 Stars [3/9/16]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Say Whot???

by TomHill » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Ryan M wrote:Back in March, I was fortunate to be treated to a few Idaho reds by some friends who live there and are very familiar with and big fans of the wines. This was a real eye-opener. These wines are competitive with the mid-tier wines from Cali and Washington, and are apparently incredibly well priced: most of what these friends buy is around the $20 mark, and I would expect to pay significantly more for wines of this quality from the other West Coast states. Stylistically, Idaho wines seem to be in-between Cali and Washington, combining the best of both. In short, Idaho seems ready to take the wine world by storm, if they care to.

Sawtooth, Cabernet Sauvignon, Snake River Valley 2010
Excellent, aromatic nose, with loads of blueberry/acai, blackberry, currant, orange rind, flowers, and tobacco, with lots of sweet, chocolatey, minerally earth, all overlaid with cassis liqueur. Same notes on the palate, with dark, rich, juicy fruit, and juicy red plum providing nice freshness and balance. Big body with succulent texture, and loads of chalky tannin. Showing very young still, almost aggressive; I’d say give it 5 years to resolve a bit. Should last another 10 years or more. Exceptional. 3.5 Stars. [3/7/16]

[

Well, Ryan....I have my doubts about that. The wine drinking public are used to buying whatever they're familiar with.
Idaho is not something familiar to them. Prolly, most peoble don't even know where Idaho is licated. They get their
spuds from their..but not their wine. It's kinda sad.
Sawtooth showed their wines at RhoneRangers, Syrah & Viognier, for several yrs. I was nightly impressed w/ both.
Tom