The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More New Whites...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: More New Whites...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 pm

We tried last week (8/17/16) Some New Whites:
1. Arnot-Roberts RibollaGialla VareVnyd/NapaVlly (2 brls; 13.4%) Healdsburg 2014: Light gold color; strong
apple/pear/green apple slight floral/herbal bit earthy/chalky bit green/underripe nose; very tart/
screechy/green bit eviscerated some green apple/pear slight pepper flavor; med.long green/tart/lean
very austere light apple/pear/RG slight white pepper finish; seems rather austere & eviscerated; not a
lot of flavor or aromatics but the acidity suggests it might age into something interesting. Or not.
Pricey at $40.00
very long/lingering apple/orangey/honeyed fairly phenolic/resiny/cidery quite tart/dry/austere interesting
finish w/ some angular tannins; lightly phenolic on the nose but pretty strongly phenolic on the palate;
a rather exotic skin-contact RG along the lines of a Movia or Skerk; fairly priced at $30.00
fresh/floral/pear/apple/apple blossom slight licorice/peppery some spicy finish; speaks strong of a very
perfumed RG a bit like the Jermann; quite a lovely/bright/vibrant expression of RG at a very fair price.
$28.00
slight white pepper/RG flavor; very long lightly tart some floral/apple/pear/carnations some mineral/
stony finish; a rather quiet/restrained expression of RG and not the exhuberence of the '14; seems a
bit closed and needs time. $37.00
strong TCA/corked very weak appley flavor; pretty much robbed of everything by the TCA. $18.00 (BB)
Mosel valve oil/petrol some complex nose; lightly tart rich/lush very floral/apple blossom/very spicy RG/
pear/white pepper light Mosel valve oil slight stony/earthy flavor; very long/lingering fairly tart
rather rich/textured/full-bodied strong RG/pear/white pepper/floral/apple blossom slight stony rather
complex finish; a beautiful example of Friuli RG w/ wonderful aromatics at a great price. $22.00
earthy beautiful perfumed nose; off-dry fairly tart very strong muscatty/floral/hair oil/rose water/GWT
bit tangy/metallic lovely flavor; very long/lingering slightly bitter very intense muscatty/floral/
hair oil/GWT finish; a nice balance of Muscat & GWT; a lovely muscatty wine at a stupid/silly price.
$11.00 (BB)
complex nose; rather tart/tangy/metallic light earthy muted GWT/lychee/rose petal/spicy attractive flavor;
very long/lingering quiet GWT/lychee/rose petal/spicy bit earthy finish; a pretty classic AltoAdige GWT;
speaks of GWT in a quiet/gentle way; quite an attractive GWT at a great price. $20.00 (BB)
valve oil/petrol slight chalky/stony beautiful R nose; quite tart/tangy some petrol/Mosel valve oil
classic R/floral/mango light stony/chalky flavor; very long/lingering Mosel valve ol/petrol quite
perfumed/R/floral light chalky/stony finish; a beautiful very Germanic expression of R at a great price.
$24.00 (BB)
interesting perfumed nose; lightly tart bit charred/oak strong stony/chalky/granatic/mineral light
floral/apple blossom/appley very attractive flavor; very long some appley/apple blossom/floral strong
stony/granatic/mineral bit tart finish; a very terroir-driven wine w/ light amount of fruit; reminds
some of a Savoie Jacquere but w/ more richness & texture. $27.00 (WoP)
very long strong toasty/charred/oak light mineral/stony bit green olive/earthy/pear/floral finish;
a bit heavy on the oak but a rather exotic expression of PA. $23.00 (BB)
perfumed light toasty/oak bit straw/herbal/spicy very attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy bright/floral/
Vermentino/perfumed slight stony/earthy light oak fairly rich/textured flavor; very long light toasty/
oak rather floral/Vermentino light stony/mineral finish; fairly rich for a Vermentino and reminds a
bit of TablasCreek Vermentino; quite an attractive white at a very good price. $16.00 (BB)
: Med.gold color; strong toasty/toasted coconut/oak strong figgy/Semillon/FigNewton/graham cracker
very perfumed complex nose; bit soft rich/ripe figgy/Semillon/FigNewton/graham cracker/green olive
rather toasty/tooasted coconut complex flavor; very long/lingering rather toasted coconut/vanilla/toasty/
oak strong ripe/figgy/FigNewton/graham cracker very rich/lush finish; speaks strongly of ripe Semillon;
a bit strong on the oak but plenty to like underneath; absolutely delicous. $38.50
__________________________________________________________________________________________
More scholarly insights from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. IrsaiOliver: This is a (table) grape variety that was developed back around 1930 in near Matra
(in the Eger region) of Hungary. It was found to make a rather pleasurable wine from that grape.
It is a cross between Pozsonyi X Pearl of Csaba, which one source says to be GWT X MuscatOttonel.
3. Italian Riesling: Most of the R in Italy comes from the AltoAdige. Those can be very attractive and
show more of an earthy/terroir-driven side of the grape. There are a few small plantings of R in
the Piemonte. The ones I've tried have been pretty impressive. This Germano, an OliverMcCrum wine,
is probably the best one yet I've tried.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: More New Whites...(long/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Tom, it looks like you're saying that Favorita is not the same as Vermentino, and then saying that Favorita is known as Rolle in France. Rolle and Vermentino have been established, I believe, to be the same grape. Which leaves me confused. Is this some kind of quantum physics thing? :mrgreen:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Nawh...

by TomHill » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Tom, it looks like you're saying that Favorita is not the same as Vermentino, and then saying that Favorita is known as Rolle in France. Rolle and Vermentino have been established, I believe, to be the same grape. Which leaves me confused. Is this some kind of quantum physics thing? :mrgreen:

Nawh, Steve...it's just Schroedinger's Cat playing games w/ us. :lol:

From Robinson & d'Agata, Vermentino/Pigato/Favorita/Rolle are, by DNA profiling, all the same variety.
Just like PinotNoir/Gris/Blanc are all the same variety..DNA tells us that. However, I noticed in the Wikipedia
entry that I read on the InterNet (which, of course, makes it true) for Favorita, that Favorita has been identified
by DNA as a distinct variety from the other three, citing a reference to Jancis. What is truth?? Beats heck out
of me. Gotta go feed Schroedinger's Cat some Kibbles soaked in BoneJolly!!
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:10 pm

lucky cat! :lol:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:lucky cat! :lol:

Is the cat at least 18 years old? I would hate to turn this matter over to the authorities but as a law abiding citizen it might be necessary. (Try to bribe me, I'm cheap) :wink:
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Lou, the cat's older than Tom, born in 1935. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat
Maybe older than you (?) :roll:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Nope

by TomHill » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Lou, the cat's older than Tom, born in 1935. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Nope, Steve....80 yrs...but that is 160 in cat yrs....so closer to Lou!! :lol:
Tom
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:30 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:Lou, the cat's older than Tom, born in 1935. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

I feel like only God is older than I am and he denies it. :(
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:49 am

I have yet to be convinced by a California Ribolla. Most of the time they are too much money for too little wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up