The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cab Franc from Uruguay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Cab Franc from Uruguay

by Ryan M » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 am

I've had Uruguayan Tannats a few times, and loved them, but this Cab Franc was just as much of an eye-opener. This can easily compete with the likes of Bourgueil.

Domaine Monte de Luz, Cabernet Franc, San Jose 2008 (Uruguay)
Rather lovely nose: dark, rich berry fruits, with perfumey roses, tobacco leaf, cedar/suede, and smokey stone/mineral, with savory tones; aromatic and dense. Similar on the palate, with wonderful, dense, rich, almost liqueur-like fruit: black raspberry, black currant, blackberry, blueberry, and red plum, with cedar, herbaceous tobacco leaf, orange rind, stoney mineral, earth, and generous spicy tannin. Very full bodied, dense, and penetrating, savory in texture, with great presence on the finish. Really impressive, a compelling style of Cab Franc. Showing some mature glycerin notes, but may still have 3 to 5 years of upside potential. 3.5 Stars [8/26/16]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Cab Franc from Uruguay

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Where do you find this off the wall stuff? It sounds good, but holy obscure Batman!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Where do you find this off the wall stuff? It sounds good, but holy obscure Batman!

This came from the gourmet grocery back in Bloomington (IN) - I went shopping when I was there this summer. Both locations of that store got built up into probably the broadest wine selection I've seen anywhere, you could get wine from pretty much every country in the world that makes wine to any significant extent (Lebanon, Morocco, Cyprus, you name it).

However, all of that building up was done by a a series of wine managers who have all moved on, and while the usual suspects are being maintained, it looks like the unique stuff is not.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Blind, would you recognize this as cab franc?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Blind, would you recognize this as cab franc?

Without a doubt. It's the kind of wine that Cab Franc haters would probably find off-putting. :D
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Ryan M wrote:Without a doubt. It's the kind of wine that Cab Franc haters would probably find off-putting. :D

That made me laugh out loud--I know just what you mean.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 am

Uruguay is one of my post-Lotto, post-Trump escape hatches! Atlantic beaches AND they make interesting wine. :mrgreen: :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:41 am

You failed to mention that Uruguay was the first country in the world to legalize marijuana, and at least for the time being, remains the only country to have done so.

FWIW, I recently purchased a bottle of Uruguayan Cabernet Franc on a lark. It was only $10. The label says "Ceiba." The producer in small print is Pradera y Mar, which apparently is part of Bodegas Filgueira. Never heard of any of these before. The ABV is 12.5 percent, which suggests it's unlikely to be New Worldy. Will post when I try it.