The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Time for the annual German wine auctions!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Time for the annual German wine auctions!

by wnissen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:06 pm

One of the odd little corners of German wine (come to think of it, it's odd corners all the way down...) is the auction process. I participated for the first time two years ago and really enjoyed the resulting 2013 Fred Prinz Hallgartener Jungfer Riesling Kabinett Goldkapsel. Surprisingly, individuals are allowed to bid, through an intermediary. This year I was thinking about getting some of the 2015. Also, I was looking at the Schmitges 2015 Erden Treppchen, Riesling Grosses Gewächs and the Von Beulwitz 2015 Kasel Nies´chen, Riesling Spätlese Alte Reben. If you go in person you can taste, I believe, but the rest of us have to rely on the guides published by the likes of Mosel Fine Wine.

The list of wines from the various auctions is available from Dee Vine Wines (I have no commercial connection), who will accept bids through September 12th. It's surprisingly affordable, since they don't take their usual margin, just 10% plus shipping. Of course, you'd better be confident in your pricing, or else you could overpay.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Time for the annual German wine auctions!

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Interesting. Lots of business opportunities!

I haven't drunk many Auction wines in recent years. I tend to shy away because the combination of extra high prices and extra intensity is not always what I want. But would be interesting to taste, especially in 2015.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 pm

I agree, but the high prices are way up there so that counts me out. I am happy with what is on the shelf here downtown..and of course in my cellar :D .
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:15 pm

I went to the Nahe auction in 2003 with Peter Ruhrberg. If you go you do get to taste. What a day that was.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. Lots of business opportunities!

I haven't drunk many Auction wines in recent years. I tend to shy away because the combination of extra high prices and extra intensity is not always what I want. But would be interesting to taste, especially in 2015.

Yes, and that's why my first purchase was a Kabinett, which was well into Spätlese territory, probably legally Auslese, but a very nice drink. Vivid, to be sure. I'm a little scared what an auction GG would be like, but I really enjoy the aromatics of the regular in other years, so why not?

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I agree, but the high prices are way up there so that counts me out. I am happy with what is on the shelf here downtown..and of course in my cellar :D .

Yes, some are incredibly high. The JJ Prüm Auslese is €110 for a full bottle! I am looking at the cheaper ones, for sure. It's interesting that they feature so few dry wines, relative to the German market which, I'm told, focusses on them.

David M. Bueker wrote:I went to the Nahe auction in 2003 with Peter Ruhrberg. If you go you do get to taste. What a day that was.

Living the dream, David. I suppose I should make a trip out of it one day.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:52 am

wnissen wrote:I'm a little scared what an auction GG would be like...

Why. It's not like 'regular' GGs are overloaded with thickness, especially the MSR ones.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks for link Walter.
Auciion bottlings can be pretty special. I'd love to bid on some Zilliken, MaxGrun, Prum, etc but I'd betting prices are well above 2014s,.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Just got my invoice back, and I got all my bottles: 2015 VON BEULWITZ Kasel Nies ́chen, Riesling Spätlese Alte Reben Auction for €18, 2015 PRINZ Hallgarten Jungfer, Riesling Kabinett Auction for €15, and 2015 SCHMITGES Erden, Treppchen Riesling Grosses Gewächs Auction for €20. Increase each of those prices by 26% to account for currency, commission, and freight, and I'm very glad to have participated. Dee Vine even helped me out when my order email got caught in a spam filter; they really treat customers the way they themselves want to be treated.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 pm

wnissen wrote:Just got my invoice back, and I got all my bottles...

Congrats. Lots of fun drinking ahead!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Great stuff Walter. Rahsaan and myself will help you drink some of these gems.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
wnissen wrote:I'm a little scared what an auction GG would be like...

Why. It's not like 'regular' GGs are overloaded with thickness, especially the MSR ones.

I've probably only had a half-dozen GGs, just outside my normal price range, but the 2009 Schmitges Prälat was a bit much. Too much extract, too much acid, I liked it a lot but wondered if it wouldn't have been better with a waterback. I drank a 2013 Prinz auction kabinett tonight and it was very, well, very. Delicious, just intense. A dry spätlese might be over the top. Or are they allowing off-dry now?

Thanks all for your congratulations, I will certainly pop a bottle when they arrive in June. If anyone wants to get together for a Bay Area dinner, let me know.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 am

wnissen wrote:I've probably only had a half-dozen GGs, just outside my normal price range, but the 2009 Schmitges Prälat was a bit much. Too much extract, too much acid, I liked it a lot but wondered if it wouldn't have been better with a waterback. I drank a 2013 Prinz auction kabinett tonight and it was very, well, very. Delicious, just intense. A dry spätlese might be over the top.

Like everything, I think it's mainly a function of producer style and vintage. Sure some GGs are too intense and over the top. But in my experience, if one can generalize, GGs are certainly slimmer and lighter than their Austrian counterparts.