The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Evening (Le) Meal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Evening (Le) Meal

by Jenise » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:41 pm

As in 2001 Ferraton Ermitage Le Meal. Opened to go with a little roast lamb. First glass seemed perfectly middle aged, but the second surprised us with some fade on the finish so I'm guessing it's over the peak. Still, a darn good wine--only paid $30 for it at auction in 2010.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: WTN: Evening (Le) Meal

by Ted Richards » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Oh dear, I have that wine. Better drink it up.

Ah, memories: I got a couple of bottles at the winery in Tain l'Hermitage on a river cruise down the Saône and Rhône. The tour was given a tasting of their lesser wines - Côtes du Rhône and the like - by the owner. After the tasting, I went to buy the Hermitage, and he suddenly showed a lot more interest. He took us outside and pointed out their vineyard on the Hermitage hill. We also got into a discussion of Chave Hermitage, and he said "Oh, we can't get hold of any Chaves ourselves - it all goes elsewhere".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Evening (Le) Meal

by Jenise » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:38 pm

To be fair, drink-by predictions on CT were out to something like 2026, and I am my bottle's second owner. It may not be representative. However it was certainly not flawed in any way, and I was careful in choosing the words "middle-aged" to describe the impressions from the first glass.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov