The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine shops in Frankfort Ky??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Wine shops in Frankfort Ky??

by Jim Grow » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 am

I will be in Frankfort Ky. next Tue. with time on my hands and would like to do some wine shopping. Google shows Capital Cellars downtown and Red Dot Liquors to the west. Are they recommended and are there any others I might be interested in? Thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine shops in Frankfort Ky??

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:10 am

Jim, I can't speak from experience, but I wouldn't count on too much in Frankfort. It's a smallish town, and I imagine most of the residents drive 20 minutes to Lexington or 45 minutes to Louisville for their booze needs. Although, that being said, looking at the websites for Capital and Red Dot, they look more interesting that I had expected, not only for wine but liquor and craft beer.

http://capitalcellars.com/

http://reddotliquors.com/
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 am

There's a place in Midway I did a tasting at years ago, can't recall the name of it, but they had a good selection, and seemed like knowledgeable folks.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:There's a place in Midway I did a tasting at years ago, can't recall the name of it, but they had a good selection, and seemed like knowledgeable folks.

Wine shop or restaurant, Steve? There's a nice cluster of upscale restaurants in Midway. Holly Hill Inn and a few others. Maybe a wine shop named Bacchus associated with the eateries?

(Jim, Midway is about midway between Frankfort and Lexington. About 15 miles east of Frankfort, maybe, on a pretty country lane.)
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Bacchus! That's it, Robin! I did a lunch at Holly's Hill the day before. Met Julia and Bob Hendricks there.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:59 am

Frankfort wine shopping was a total bust. Red Dot Liquor was much more about spirits than wine and Capital Cellars was only slightly better. I'd give the first a D grade and the second a C+. I blanked out on interesting beers too and do not buy or drink bourbon, etc. One has to wonder what Ky. legislators/lobbyists drink with meals while in the capital, maybe bourbon which is offered in many brands!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Jim Grow wrote:One has to wonder what Ky. legislators/lobbyists drink with meals while in the capital, maybe bourbon which is offered in many brands!

Yep. It's the state nectar, after all. And to be honest, most of Kentucky's rural legislators don't come from a demographic that values "upscale" wine. Too bad you couldn't get over to Midway, though. The wine shop that Steve spoke of there might not be up to urban standards, but I think you'd have given it a higher grade.