The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Comparing two Volnays

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Comparing two Volnays

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:03 pm

1999 DOMAINTE DE LA POUSSE D'OR VOLNAY 1ER CRU EN CAILLERETS "CLOS DES 60 OUVREES" (monopole or monopoly)
bottled at the domaine of Patrick Landanger, Volnay (1999 was his first vintage since taking over the Domaine de la Pousse d'Or or "domaine of the golden drop").
Imported by Vintner Select, Mason, Ohio.
13% alcohol
Dark burgundy color with pronounced viscosity. Dark berries and a touch of cardamon. Smooth entry, smooth midpalate--a grippy finish. Comparable in quality to the Boillot Volnay Les Caillerets 1er Cru which follows. I would rate both wines about 85-87 on a 100-point scale.

2002 JEAN BOILLET & FILS VOLNAY "LES CAILLERETS" 1ER CRU

13% alcohol
Brighter, lighter burgundy color than the "Clos des 60 Ouvrees." Much less dense also. Nose of dark cherries and African violets. Slight tartness midpalate and subtle white pepper spice. Pleasant, medium-bodied wine. I would rate 85-87 points on a 100-point scale.
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

Re: WTN: Comparing two Volnays

by Gregg G » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm

JC (NC) wrote:....1999 was his first vintage since taking over the Domaine de la Pousse d'Or...

Are you sure? Gérard Potel died in Oct. '97 upon hearing the news that Landanger had bought the estate. From what I understand, Gerard's son, Nicholas Potel, took various barrels from the '96 vintage from the Domaine and released a few '96s under the Pousse d'Or label. In Jan '98, he took over his fathers negociant business and began purchasing grapes. Landanger finished the elevage of the remaining '96 barrels. Pousse d'Or had some difficulty with Landanger adjusting to the estate fruit through the '98 vintage. To his credit, Landanger made respectable '00 Volnays and declassified all the 1er fruit in '01 due to the severe weather in Volnay. The '02 vintage is the first to establish Landanger as a winemaker to recon with. Having tasted the '02 "60 Ouvrees" and the "Les Caillerets", they are brillant examples, albeit, a departure from the domaines style under G. Potel.

The '99 "60 Ouvrees" is a very fine wine and years away from maturity. The '93 is just beginning to enter it's drinking window.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Comparing two Volnays

by JC (NC) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm

No, I'm not sure. I got the info about the debut vintage from wineanorak.com:

Wines of Domaine de la Pousse d’Or, Volnay, Burgundy

A famous old domaine in Volnay that has recently been revitalized by Patrick Landanger, since his debut 1999 vintage. Typically one-third new oak is used on these wines...