The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: older Mondavi, adolescent Poujeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: older Mondavi, adolescent Poujeaux

by Patchen Markell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:18 am

Autumn being a time of incipient decline, I figured the night I roasted my first kabocha squash was also the night to open a Robert Mondavi 1984 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. (This is a solo bottle I acquired recently, so I have zero data points.) The color, initially light but not brown, deepens quickly with air, and on first taste there's still a nice core of sweet red fruit, though it's thin. Andrea furrows her brow; I can't taste anything, but she swears there's a bit of TCA, and she's always more sensitive to it than I am. After a bit of of swirling and tasting, I catch up to her: there it is. Dinner's on, so I run over and grab the first Cab-ish thing I can lay my hands on, a Château Poujeaux 1996 Moulis-en-Médoc. This is lovely: fresh currant, a powerfully aromatic cedar-and-tobacco midpalate, and a slightly rough-rustic finish. No hurry but delicious now. After dinner, though, I went back to the Mondavi, which, predictably, had transformed in the glass, taking on weight and opening up considerably; now, the fruit has become deeper and plummier with a balsamic edge, there's a really nice anise note developing on the finish, and the TCA -- for me -- is only detectable on about one sip out of ten, with the midpalate showing earth and mint instead. Even bracketing the contamination and the 12-year age difference, this turned out to be a nice side-by-side. It will be interesting to see whether anything of interest in the Mondavi survives 24 hours...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: older Mondavi, adolescent Poujeaux

by Paul Winalski » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:39 pm

I opened a 1995 Chateau Poujeaux recently. Coasting into young maturity, I'd say, and a joy to drink. Everything's nicely balanced and integrated. A classic Medoc. But there wasn't anything really thrilling or exciting about it, either. Triple Larry.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:It will be interesting to see whether anything of interest in the Mondavi survives 24 hours...

Sooooo, what happened?
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:06 pm

The Mondavi was dead as a doornail the next night. The Poujeaux held on. And, yeah, like that 95, nothing spectacular, but still really good value!
cheers, Patchen