The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2004 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:44 pm

2004 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (10/20/2016)
I last had this wine blind a couple of years ago, and it seemed like it might be emerging from the infamous green taint of so many 2004 Burgundies. Last night it was served blind again, and it moved even further away from the green and more to the sous bois/earthy/dried leaves element of mature Burgundy that I love so much. There was still quite a lot of fruit, and the palate had a velvety element on the front end. There was a bit of acid sticking out on the finish, so not sure where that might have been going, but overall it was a very enjoyable wine. Consensus around the table was positive, so maybe there is hope after all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2004 Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks David. I don't have a ton of 2004 Burg, but probably 20 odd bottles, and hope they will come past the taint. My last couple bottles have been pretty good, but not wines that I'd tried before, so not sure if improvement or just them dodging the bullet. I should try a couple of Chevillons , Mugnier Marechale or Lambrays to see how they are.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...maybe there is hope after all.

That would be great if it turns out to be the case for the vintage as a whole.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks David. I don't have a ton of 2004 Burg, but probably 20 odd bottles, and hope they will come past the taint. My last couple bottles have been pretty good, but not wines that I'd tried before, so not sure if improvement or just them dodging the bullet. I should try a couple of Chevillons , Mugnier Marechale or Lambrays to see how they are.

So far in my experience, Chevillon has been one of the absolute worst.
Decisions are made by those who show up