The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brundlmayer GV, NZ Pinot, L Michel Chablis, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Brundlmayer GV, NZ Pinot, L Michel Chablis, etc

by Marc D » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:48 pm

To accompany asparagus and leek risotto, 2004 Brundlmayer Berg-Vogelsang GV Lime scented rainwater, very minerally and lots of spritzy CO2, bright acidity, refreshing, citrusy flavors. Not a lot of green pea notes, only minimum spice on the finish. I enjoyed this a lot, the lime and tonic flavors, calcium minerals and acidity reminded me of the 04 Clos de Briords muscadet.

Served with chicken breast and morels in a light cream sauce, 2004 Kahurangi Pinot Noir Nelson, NZ A good bit of funky brett and earthy smells, which I found promising. The palate is disappointing though. There is a prickly acidity, and the red raspberry fruit is candied and too sweet for my tastes. It gave me the overall impression of a sweet tart candy, but not in a pleasant way.

Accompanied by colorful expletives shouted at cork makers, 2002 Coudert Clos de Roilette Fleurie Initially quiet and muted, and then the tell tale wet cardboard stink... corked dammit. This upsets me more than it should for such a modestly priced wine, but seems it seems criminal when a personal favorite suffers such a fate.

With panko coated yearling oysters, lightly pan fried, 2004 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon I love this version of Sauvignon blanc, it is not flashy, but it seems varietally pure, perfectly balanced flavors of white fruit, hint of grass, chalk, and crisp acid that is so easy to drink.

Served with fresh halibut topped with chopped prosciutto and rosemary, 2000 Louis Michel Chablis Montee de Tonnerre This is lovely chablis, a paradox in that it is almost rich but at the same time with edge to it. Apple and something riper, almost tropical fruit, wet stones and a hint of gun flint. A good middle age showing. More development left would be my guess.

(Edited for Otto)
Best,
Marc Davis