The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SacBee: MikeDunne on Idaho Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SacBee: MikeDunne on Idaho Wines

by TomHill » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Interesting article by MikeDunne on Idaho wines:
SacBee:IdahoWines

The part that really interested me was:
Mike wrote:▪ 10. High on a slope at the far reaches of the Idaho Botanical Garden next to the old state penitentiary at Boise sprawled a tall grape vine, its foliage flaming, its grapes small and black. At the base was a sign that called it purpurea, a member of the vitis-vinifera family of grapes, responsible for most of the world’s fine wines. I’d never heard of the grape, and several vintners who I asked about it also didn’t understand it or what it was doing in the garden. No one had a clue about whether it ever played a role in Idaho’s winemaking culture. A couple of them, however, sounded eager to look into the matter, maybe even plant some and see what kind of wine it would yield.

Apparently the grape is grown more for its decorative qualities as the leaves turn in the Fall. Mostly it's talked about on the Gardening Sites.
Probably pretty badly virus infected.

Tom
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: SacBee: MikeDunne on Idaho Wines

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 am

I too had never heard of the purpurea grape but found it described on a number of sites. Its beauty as an ornamental vine is commonly mentioned. Some say it is delicious for eating and jelly.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Which..

by TomHill » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:I too had never heard of the purpurea grape but found it described on a number of sites. Its beauty as an ornamental vine is commonly mentioned. Some say it is delicious for eating and jelly.

Which is unusual for Vitis Vinifera. Generally it makes pretty bland jelly.
I hope they'll do the DNA on it & find out what it is or is related to. I would love to brag that
I followed Purpurea wine from the very start.
Tom